metafrasi banner

in it for the long haul

Quote:-
--“So, no, I didn’t worry, because I’m in this for the long haul.”

- Reese Witherspoon, actress, talking about her relationship with her husband, movie star Ryan Phillippe.
Definition
forever, for a long time, permanently; until the end, until it is finished; without hesitation, without reservation

If you’re in something for the long haul, you are dedicated to it. You won’t give up on it. You will continue to be committed to it until it ends. So, you can use “for the long haul” whenever you’re describing something you take seriously. For example, if you love playing soccer, if you practice every day, if you want to play in the World Cup someday, then you’re playing soccer for the long haul. Or, if you want to be a doctor someday, you have to study for the long haul. You can’t give up on your education.

Further examples:-

--If you’re going to college, you have to be in it for the long haul. You can’t quit. You have to stick with it until you graduate.

--Don’t worry about us. We’re in this for the long haul. We won’t quit. We want to make it to the top of the mountain

--I was tired and I felt really sick. I wanted to be in it for the long haul, but I just couldn’t do it anymore. I had to give up.

--Jeff says he’s in this relationship for the long haul, but I can tell that he’s getting bored. He always looks at other girls. I really don’t think he loves me anymore.

Source: http://www.englishbaby.com/lessons/121/slang/for_the_long_haul

Last edited by a moderator:

drsiebenmal

HandyMod
Staff member
Μπήκαμε στα βαθιά και θα κολυμπήσουμε.
Δεν σκοπεύουμε να τα παρατήσουμε.
Θα το πάμε μέχρι τέλος/μέχρι τέρμα.

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
In some cases, particularly in the first example (Reese's), it could be: Ήρθα για να μείνω.

Here to stay - New Order

With a twist: κατσικώνομαι. For Reese's case, take note of the example on slang.gr. :p

SBE

¥
- Reese Witherspoon, actress, talking about her relationship with her *former* husband, movie star Ryan Phillippe.

I couldn't help thinking of another expression while reading this: μεγάλη μπουκιά φάε, μεγάλο λόγο μην πεις.
:D

Zazula

Administrator
Staff member
- Reese Witherspoon, actress, talking about her relationship with her *former* husband, movie star Ryan Phillippe.
I couldn't help thinking of another expression while reading this: μεγάλη μπουκιά φάε, μεγάλο λόγο μην πεις. :D
Μα, μια γυναίκα ποτέ (μα ποτέ μα ποτέ μα ποτέ) δεν εγκαταλείπει (παρατάει, αφήνει σύξυλο κλπ) έναν άντρα· είναι ο άντρας που (με τη συμπεριφορά του, την αδιαφορία του κλπ) αναγκάζει κι εξωθεί τη γυναίκα στο να φύγει — μ' άλλα λόγια τη διώχνει με τον τρόπο του, δεν της αφήνει άλλη επιλογή (κλπ κλπ).

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
Μα, μια γυναίκα ποτέ (μα ποτέ μα ποτέ μα ποτέ) δεν εγκαταλείπει (παρατάει, αφήνει σύξυλο κλπ) έναν άντρα· είναι ο άντρας που (με τη συμπεριφορά του, την αδιαφορία του κλπ) αναγκάζει κι εξωθεί τη γυναίκα στο να φύγει — μ' άλλα λόγια τη διώχνει με τον τρόπο του, δεν της αφήνει άλλη επιλογή (κλπ κλπ).

That's
the long and short of it, Zaz! :D :up:
Hush now, please, I spy them getting ready to haul our asses on the carpet.

SBE

¥
Χμ, στην περίπτωση του συγκεκριμένου ζεύγους, έχουμε δύο νεαρούς ηθοποιούς σχετικά γνωστούς που παντρεύτηκαν κλπκλπ. Ύστερα από λίγο εκείνη γνώρισε μεγάλη επαγγελματική επιτυχία και ο άλλος δεν τα κατάφερε και τόσο. Γιατί να έχουν διαφωνίες άραγε; Αφού υπάρχει το προηγούμενο της Τζόαν Γούντγουορντ που άφησε την καριέρα της για να γίνει νοικοκυρά και σύζυγος. Γιατί να μην είναι και το ζεύγος Γουίδερσπουν σαν το ζεύγος Νιούμαν;
:rolleyes::cool: