The Importance of Being Earnest

marianna8

I 'd like to find the translation of Oscar Wilde's 'The Importance of Being Earnest' in Greek. Does anyone know where I can find it? (link or publishers)

Thank you! :D

nickel

Administrator
Staff member

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
I sincerely apologise, this one did not turn up in my search. I would definitely go for this last one, especially if the Martinidis translation is in katharevousa (a translation into katharevousa in this day and age?).

Details for the third book:
Η σημασία να είσαι σοβαρός
Translator: Errikos Belies
Publisher: Iridanos, 2006
125 pages
ISBN 960-335-071-0, ISBN-13 978-960-335-071-2
Price € 12,78

(a translation into katharevousa in this day and age?)

Well, his intention was to render the 19th century upper-class language of Wilde's characters (I saw the play a few years ago and read his introduction in the programme, that's why I know :))

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
I thought that might be the case. Well, katharevousa can be used for added comic effect. Did it work for you?

Did it work for you?

Όχι και τόσο. Αν διαβάσεις το κείμενο σου φαίνεται καλό, η μετάφραση δηλαδή δεν είναι νομίζω κακή, αλλά στη σκηνή μου φάνηκε πολύ στεγνό το έργο, άνευρο. Άσε που κάτι μικρότεροι που ήταν μέσα δεν καταλάβαιναν τίποτα και έτσι μιλούσαν συνέχεια και παίζαν με το κινητό τους. Πάει κι ο 19ος, και τα ευφυολογήματα και όλα.

marianna8

Παιδιά ευχαριστώ πολύ για τις απαντήσεις σας! Ελληνίδα είμαι απλά πρώτη φορά έγραφα στο φόρουμ και νόμιζα πως γενικά γράφαμε αγγλικά... Πολύ χρήσιμες οι πληροφορίες σας!