Cujus gloriae neque profuit quisquam laudando, nec vituperando quisquam nocuit

cimavro

I have failed in my efforts to properly translate the following maxim from Latin: "Cujus gloriae neque profuit quisquam laudando, nec vituperando quisquam nocuit." Can anybody help me out with a reasonable English translation?
Cim

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
On this page on Plato and his 'critics', there is interesting background to the saying by Livy (Titus Livius):

I might here have a fair occasion to answer the invectives that have been made against Plato in our time: But since they come only from such persons as never read so much as one of his Dialogues, perhaps they'll change their sentiments when once they have read him. Besides, 'tis wasting of one’s time to defend Plato, for he sufficiently defends himself; and that may be said of him with yet more justice, which the greatest of the Latin historians said of Cato, equally ridiculing the praises Cicero had given him, and the satyrs Cesar had made on him. *None could ever augment the Glory of this Great Man by his praises, nor diminish it by his Satyrs.

*Cujus gloriae neque profuit quisquam laudando, nec vituperando quisquam nocuit. Titus Livius

As someone else very succinctly puts it: the character of Cato stood alike above censure and above eulogy.

Εντάξει, σωστά, αλλά πρέπει να διορθωθεί ο τίτλος του νήματος και από gloriae να γίνει gloria.

Μμ, μάλλον η σύμβουλός μου έκανε λάθος. Μάλλον το profuit παίρνει δοτική, οπότε σωστό πρέπει να είναι το gloriae... :)