E-mail is ruining my life!

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
By Ben Limberg
BBC Money Programme

Two million e-mails are sent every minute in the UK. That is almost three billion each day. But what is the real cost of this information overload?... A recent study found one-third of office workers suffer from e-mail stress. And it is expensive, too. One FTSE firm estimated that dealing with pointless e-mails cost it £39m a year.

Ray Tomlinson, … [the person] responsible for the e-mail revolution…: “Spam is a problem... there just seems to be an endless stream of it.”

Professor Cary Cooper (who advises the government on stress in the workplace): “For me, e-mail is one of the most pernicious stressors of our time.”

Loughborough University's Dr Tom Jackson … has five tips he believes can help you take control of your inbox:
  • Invest in a spam filter…
  • Target your e-mail. (Does everyone in the cc box really need to be copied in on your words of wisdom?)
  • Write more carefully.
  • Reduce interruptions.
  • Get training.

You can read the full article here.

nickel’s advice:

If you are using Outlook Express, try this layout: three panes (folders, contacts and message titles). Go to View > Layout > Preview Pane and make sure Show preview pane is unchecked. Do not click on messages from an unknown sender. What I do: Obvious spam is deleted immediately, otherwise I right-click on the line of the obscure message and go to > Properties > Details > Message source. In this way, I can read the sender’s details and content of the message without actually opening it and activating any hazardous links.

Attachments

• emailruin.jpg
    emailruin.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 345