metafrasi banner

Help with Hellenic Greek

hector01

Please excuse my deep ignorance concerning all things Greek. I am trying to understand what would be an appropriate translation during the time of the Trojan War. The phrase is "The gods favor the brave." I think the Greek is "Οι Θεοί ευνοούν το γενναίο". Now here's where my ignorance becomes readily evident. What period is this Greek from? Is it modern (current)? If not, what is it. And what would be appropriate as per Homer's time?

Thank you so much.

Elena

¥
Nick and Bill are the best persons to answer this one, but until they see this... you could try Ovid (Ars Amatoria/Art of Love).

Latin quotation

audentum Forsque Venusque juvant > Fortune and Love favor the brave

Btw: I've never heard the Greek phrase you mention, but this one: η τύχη βοηθάει τους τολμηρούς
is quite common, but also... Latin. :)

audentes fortuna juivat > fortune helps the brave/favors the bold, etc.

Ascribed to Virgil (although not in the collection published by Routledge): http://en.allexperts.com/q/Ancient-Languages-2210/Fortune-Favours-Brave.htm

hector01

Nick and Bill are the best persons to answer this one, but until they see this... you could try Ovid (Ars Amatoria/Art of Love).

Latin quotation

audentum Forsque Venusque juvant > Fortune and Love favor the brave

Btw: I've never heard the Greek phrase you mention, but this one: η τύχη βοηθάει τους τολμηρούς
is quite common, but also... Latin. :)

audentes fortuna juivat > fortune helps the brave/favors the bold, etc.

Ascribed to Virgil (although not in the collection published by Routledge): http://en.allexperts.com/q/Ancient-Languages-2210/Fortune-Favours-Brave.htm

Not surprisingly, I've been unclear. I'm looking for the Hellenic Greek? Or is that what I already have. (See, I told you I was ignorant of this stuff.)

Bill

¥
When you check your post on the other forum, hector, you'll find I've already replied, referring you to Menander fr. 572 etc. But certainly the Roman poets, and especially Vergil, Aeneid 10.284 (audentes fortuna iuvat) were closer to your thought. By the way, "Hellenic Greek" means "Greek Greek." We're a bit puzzled! :-)

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
Hellenistic Greek would be a correct term (see Koine Greek here) but it would have nothing to do with Homeric Greek or Classical Greek. On the other hand, [tongue-in-cheek mode] seeing that some Greeks (Hellenes) object to the use of Greek (or Greece) and would prefer the use of Hellenic (rather than Greek language etc. and of Hellas for Greece), “Hellenic Greek” might be an interesting compromise solution to accommodate both schools of thought.[/tongue-in-cheek mode]

Οι θεοί ευνοούν τους γενναίους would be an acceptable modern Greek translation of "The gods favor the brave". «τους γενναίους» is the plural form to translate "the brave"; "τον γενναίο" is the singular form, less appropriate here. Also, «οι θεοί» rather than «οι Θεοί»: θεός is capitalized only when we refer to the one and only god of the Christians.

Sorry, but I can't help with any ancient Greek versions.

bernardina

Sorry, but I can't help with any ancient Greek versions.

Πώς ξεβράστηκα εδώ, Παναΐαμ;

Η αρχαία βερσιόν που ψάχνατε μπορεί να είναι το θουκυδίδειο Τοις τολμώσιν η τύχη (ξύμφορος) που είναι έμβλημα και της ΔΑΣ, αν δεν απατώμαι. Α, να το!

Γιατί καλέ το αφήσατε ξεκρέμαστο, τόσο ωραίο νηματάκι;:s

Earion

Staff member
Αν ο φίλος ήθελε οπωσδήποτε το αντίστοιχο του brave, αυτό δεν είναι το «τολμών», αλλά το «ανδρείος». Τοις ανδρείοις εύνους ο θεός. (Ναι, ο θεός, και δεν εννοεί τον Έναν, των χριστιανών).

bernardina

Ε, να, γι' αυτό ρώτησα γιατί έμεινε ξεκρέμαστο το νηματάκι. Ψάξε ψάξε, θα βρισκόταν το σωστό. ;)