Input λατινικοί χαρακτήρες, output πολυτονικό

Graecise.

Να και πώς ήρθε σε γνώση μου (από το Perseus project):

Recently the OOo extension Graecise (http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/project/Graecise), currently in its 0.5.2 version, came to me attention. The idea, up to the moment, is to write a Greek word with Latin characters (using / for oxeia, \ for daseia, etc.) and then click an icon to trigger a macro to change it in Unicode Greek.

I communicated with the author of the macro (Mr. Christian Becker from Germany) and learned that his only relation with Greek is his girlfriend for whom he wrote the extension. I informed him that in the pre-Unicode days there was sgreek, a font with which you would write Latin and it turned it into Greek. He was not aware of it, nor, obviously, his girlfriend was. He was very interested and told me he would include incorporate the sgreek conventions of entering diacriticals either in the main version or in a parallel sGraecise one.

When he wrote the macro, since he knew nothing of sgreek (or of Perseus for that matter), he used the following:

for oxeia: / same as in sgreek
for bareia: \ same as in sgreek
for perispomenh: # instead of =
for psilh: ) same as in sgreek
for daseia: ( same as in sgreek
for ypogegrammenh: ' instead of |
for dialytika: : instead of + in sgreek
for anw teleia: none instead of : in sgreek

For the letters of the alphabet he used the same as in sgreek. So the differences consisted in 3 diacriticals and 1 omission.

As I said, he expressed eagerness to improve his extension to conform to the "sgreek standards" (his expression), so I expect that in the near future we will have a nice practical way to enter Unicode Greek test in OOo. I also suggested to him that it would be nice if one could highlight a text and then click the macro to change all of it in Greek. By the time we reach version 1.0.0 I believe the extension will be very good indeed.

I thought people over here would be interested in this development, and may want to contribute their ideas.

Sincerely,

Eustace

Last edited by a moderator: