στρουθοκαμηλικός = head-in-the-sand, ostrich-like

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
Μια από τις ιστορίες που μαθαίνουμε από μικροί ότι είναι παραμύθι είναι η πανάρχαια για τις στρουθοκαμήλους, ότι χώνουν το κεφάλι τους στην άμμο μέχρι να προσπεράσει το πρόβλημα. Βεβαίως, καλύτερα να σου βγει το μάτι παρά το όνομα. Οι στρουθοκάμηλοι δεν μπορούν να διεκδικήσουν τα δικαιώματά τους και το στίγμα παραμένει.

Στο εβδομαδιαίο ηλεπιστολάριό του ο Michael Quinion ξεθάβει τη λέξη που είχε προτείνει ο Κέστλερ, struthonian. Γράφει:

This is a modern weird word, used a few times after the late Arthur Koestler invented it in 1963, but now almost unknown. His aim, in an article in Encounter magazine, was to describe those pundits who prefer honest self-deception to ignoble truths.

the scientific name of the ostrich to this day is Struthio camelus). It’s difficult to imagine a cross between a sparrow and a camel, but the Greeks managed it. In later Latin it became “avis struthio”, the struthio bird.

The only recent example of “struthonian” I can turn up is in the journal of the Royal United Services Institute dated July 2007: “Even if looking into the future can be demonstrated usually to be futile, you still need to practise; you might get better, and one day you strike lucky and you hit a tipping point. As the wisdom of snooker players informs us: ‘The more I practise, the luckier I become’. Being struthonian is not an option.”

Το αγγλικό ostrich είναι παραφθορά, μετά από μακρύ ταξίδι, εκείνου του avis struthio.

Σαν μετάφρασμα του «στρουθοκαμηλικός» με τη μεταφορική του σημασία, καλύτερο από το ostrich-like (και οπωσδήποτε από το struthonian) είναι το “head-in-the-sand”, π.χ. head-in-the-sand approach.

Από το Wiktionary:
head-in-the-sand adjective
(idiomatic) Exhibiting disregard or denial of a problem or threat. A reference to the ostrich's habit of burying its head when threatened.
The head-in-the-sand approach to environmentalism seldom improves matters.

Zazula

Administrator
Staff member
Εγώ βρήκα λίγα struthious behavio(u)r - που μου φαίνεται και λογικότερο απ' το struthonian, δεδομένου ότι το struthious συνδέεται αμφιμονοσήμαντα με το ostrich, και ostrich είναι και ο στρουθοκαμηλίζων.

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
Να προσθέσω εδώ και τον στρουθοκαμηλισμό. Ταιριάζει ενίοτε το παραπάνω head-in-the-sand approach.

Αλλά και την πρόταση (από το διαδίκτυο):
Is Burying Your Head in the Sand a Sound Business Strategy?
θα μπορούσαμε να τη μεταφράσουμε «Είναι σωστή επιχειρηματική στρατηγική ο στρουθοκαμηλισμός;».

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
Μερικοί χρησιμοποιούν και το ostrichism για τον στρουθοκαμηλισμό.

Στο Phrontistery: habit or policy of refusing to face unpleasant facts.

Στο OED: the policy of hiding the head like an ostrich; also in allusive and extended use.

Παλαιά παραδείγματα χρήσης:

1834 Tait's Mag. I. 59/1 The Marquis adopted the celebrated system of ostrichism, and hid his head.
1944 J. S. Huxley On Living in Revolution 3 The fact that a world war existed and the ostrichism of our reactions to it were most obvious in the case of Spain.
1945 R. Hargreaves Enemy at Gate 285 A departure into Maginot Line ostrichism which had ended... in the rigid chain of defence works being 'turned'.
1958 New Statesman 1 Mar. 260/2 Geoffrey Dawson's calculated ostrichism towards the Fascist dictators... during the Thirties.
1960 Spectator 15 July 106 A new wave of ostrichism in regard to defence is sweeping the country.

Και πιο σύγχρονο παράδειγμα:
That was something to be avoided. Others have remarked on her "ostrichism": her ability to ignore whatever might be nasty or upsetting.

Slightly off topic, but I just had to quote this Beckett line (from "Murphy"):

Any fool can turn the blind eye, but who knows what the ostrich sees in the sand?