Minerva’s owl

skol

Βρίσκω μια αναφορά εδώ στο γνωστό ρητό του Χέγκελ με την κουκουβάγια της Αθηνάς που πετά μόνο αφού πέσει το βράδυ. Η κουκουβάγια όμως αναφέρεται ως “Minerva’s latch”. Τι σχέση έχει το latch με το owl; Τι μου διαφεύγει; Παρακάτω ολόκληρο το παράθεμα

The scientific explanation often came to the fore at the end of a long journey-that of constructive techniques-whose origins are lost, as Koyre puts it, "in the mists of time"; and whereof it was presented in the form of rational acknowledgment of what was known but not understood, as Minerva's latch which, according to Hegel, lifts at nightfall.

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
"Only one word more concerning the desire to teach the world what it ought to be. For such a purpose philosophy at least always comes too late. Philosophy, as the thought of the world, does not appear until reality has completed its formative process, and made itself ready. History thus corroborates the teaching of the conception that only in the maturity of reality does the ideal appear as counterpart to the real, apprehends the real world in its substance, and shapes it into an intellectual kingdom. When philosophy paints its gray on gray, then has a form of life grown old, and with gray on gray it cannot be rejuvenated, but only known; the Owl of Minerva first takes flight with twilight closing in."

-G. W. F. Hegel, "Preface,"
Philosophy of Right
BERLIN, June 25th, 1820. Translated by S W Dyde, 1896

Owl of Minerva, the official journal of the Hegel Society of America

Πέρα απ' αυτό, πρώτη φορά βλέπω το latch για γλαύκα κι ούτε στο OED δε βρίσκω κάτι σχετικό.

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
Μάλλον για μεταφραστικό λάθος πρόκειται, μια και το βιβλίο (αυτό εδώ δεν είναι;) είναι μετάφραση από τα ιταλικά. Δεν μπορώ ωστόσο να καταλάβω πώς το civetta (κουκουβάγια) έγινε latch!

Zazula

Administrator
Staff member
Δεν μπορώ ωστόσο να καταλάβω πώς το civetta (κουκουβάγια) έγινε latch!
To latch βλέπω είναι chiavistello στα ιταλικά, αλλά ήδη απ' το civetta στο chiavetta (=κλειδάκι) δεν είναι δα και πολύς ο δρόμος.

skol

Ναι, αυτό είναι, το δίνω κι εγώ το λινκ.

αλλά ήδη απ' το civetta στο chiavetta (=κλειδάκι) δεν είναι δα και πολύς ο δρόμος.
Με πρόλαβες, αλλά καλύτερα που το έγραψες εσύ γιατί εγώ μπορεί να μην τολμούσα να το πω!
Το ερώτημα είναι να συνεχίσω να διαβάζω το βιβλίο; :-)

Το ερώτημα είναι να συνεχίσω να διαβάζω το βιβλίο; :-)

Πρόκειται για εκδόσεις Springer, οπότε, ιδιαίτερα αν το χρειάζεσαι, θα έλεγα να σταματήσεις μόνο αν συναντήσεις κι άλλα τέτοια λάθη.
Τώρα, για το πόσα και τι είδους, εσύ θα κρίνεις, αν υπάρχουν βεβαίως.
Για το ιστορικό της μετάφρασης-απόδοσης, δες και τα παρακάτω:

This book draws its origin from my textbook on the science of structures and its historical development which I published with the Sansoni Publishers in 1981 (La Seienza delle Costruzioni e il suo Sviluppo Storieo, Florence, 1981). I am indebted to Professor Clifford Truesdell, who kindly appreciated my attempt to outline a history of the relation between rational mechanics and structural engineering and presented my work to the late Mr. W. Kaufmann-Buhler of Springer-Verlag for an English edition. In fact, this book is not a translation of the original. Mr. Kaufmann-Buhler suggested that I transform the text into a general introduction to the history of structural mechanics concentrating on some specific topics and expanding their historical references. I wrote the new text in Italian. I am very grateful to my colleague and friend Prof. Aurelia V. von Germela for having carefully interpreted my complex academic style and transformed it into fluent English. I thank very much also Mrs. Molly Wolf for her clever and precious final copy-editing, which made my manuscript more dry and light for American preferences. Very useful to me was Dr. Peter Barrington Jones' kind collaboration, and I am particularly grateful to my assistant, Arch. Massimo Corradi, for his beautiful drawings, hand-made in "old style". Finally, I am glad to thank my colleagues Prof. Gianpietro Del Piero and Prof. Paolo Podio Guidugli for their useful suggestions regarding the topics in the first volume.
http://link.springer.com/book/10.1007/978-1-4612-2982-7 (Acknowledgments, p. 1)

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
Image for the day: the latch that lifts at nightfall. (Έχει και παρήχηση.)

Η μέρα φεύγει, το μάνταλο σηκώνεται...

Καλημέρα, όλη μέρα.

Aegean2

Μόνη εξήγηση αν το χρησιμοποιεί ιδιωματικά σαν σύντροφο, κάποιος που έχει μανταλωθεί, είναι αχώριστος κλπ.

Αλλά το πιο πιθανό είναι να έχει χαθεί στην αρχική μετάφραση από τα Ιταλικά, κάποιο μπέρδεμα του μεταφραστή ψάχνοντας για κάτι πιο πιασάρικο από το owl, με το owl latch hook που είναι κέντημα κουκουβάγιας. :p