The letters that didn't make the alphabet

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
Μπορεί να μην είναι funny, αλλά...
12 letters that didn't make the alphabet

Sho, Dharvatis, Ye olde thorn (thrown away now) did not wynn in the end. :)

As for funny, ye olde long s did produce fome funny refults, as ye can fee in our thread for Ϸakefpeare and mufic.

Where the bee fucks, there fuck I ... after fun-fet, merrily :whistle: fniggering

11. Long S
long-s1.png
You may have seen this in old books or other documents, like the title page from Paradise Lost above. Sometimes the letter s will be replaced by a character that looks a bit like an f. This is what’s known as a “long s,” which was an early form of a lowercase s. And yet the modern lowercase s (then referred to as the “short s”) was still used according to a complicated set of rules (but most usually seen at the end of a word), which led to many words (especially plurals) using both.
For example, ?uper?titous is how the word superstitious would have been printed.

It was purely a stylistic lettering, and didn’t change the pronunciation at all. It was also kind of silly and weird, since no other letters behaved that way, so around the beginning of the 19th century, the practice was largely abandoned and the modern lowercase s became king.

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
Όταν συμπληρώνω κάποιο Captcha από εκείνα που χρησιμοποιούνται για τη διόρθωση προϊόντος οπτικής αναγνώρισης από παλαιότερα κείμενα που χρησιμοποιούν το παλιό S που μοιάζει με f, αναρωτιέμαι: «Τώρα τι θα καταλάβει, τι να του δώσω; Lost ή loft;» Πάντα του δίνω το σωστό (lost, όταν υπάρχει παλιό S) και πάντα το δέχεται. Και φεύγω ικανοποιημένος ότι υπάρχει μια υπέρτατη ευφυΐα πίσω από τα Captcha. :-)

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
Εγώ θα λυπηθώ αν χαθεί η δουλειά που γινόταν για τη διόρθωση των οσιαρισμένων — αν γινόταν, όπου γινόταν.

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
Για το long S αξίζει τον κόπο να ρίξετε μια ματιά στο The Rules for Long S, στο ιστολόγιο του Andrew West (babelstone) που λινκάρισα παραπάνω (το οποίο βρήκα από το λίνκι του dharvatis στο πρώτο ποστ). Παρουσιάζει εκτενέστατα τη χρήση του γράμματος σε τέσσερις γλώσσες (αγγλικά, γαλλικά, ιταλικά, ισπανικά) με πολλά δείγματα κειμένων, μέχρι και λεξιλογιωματική ανάλυση (1) κάνει στο τέλος. Τέτοια δουλειά σε ιστολόγιο δεν βλέπεις συχνά και απ' ό,τι βλέπω έχει και αρκετά άλλα ενδιαφέροντα.

Like most readers of this blog I realised that long s was used initially and medially, whereas short s was used finally (mirroring Greek practice with regards to final lowercase sigma ς and non-final lowercase sigma σ), although there were, I thought, some exceptions. But what exactly were the rules?

I Discorsi di M. Pietro And. Matthioli (Venice, 1563)

Ftriking fufurrations of pages ruftling from the paft. Fatisfaction.