The writing on the αντίδωρον

Can anyone tell me the texts that are written on the αντίδωρον; On Sunday I received a piece on which was written in beautifully scripted Greek a word that seems to have been a word like επτηρούγ(χ?)α with a squiggle after the γ(χ?) which to me was indecipherable. Quite clearly no such word exists but i have given perhaps sufficient to ring a bell in someone's mind.:confused:

drsiebenmal

HandyMod
Staff member
Αντίδωρο is a piece from πρόσφορο, the specially prepared bread. See here for an e-book on the subject.

The πρόσφορο is stamped with a wooden stamp carrying the ΙΣ ΧΣ (IC XC) ΝΙ ΚΑ logo. Here are pictures of this bread.

The seal:

drsiebenmal

HandyMod
Staff member
On Sunday I received a piece on which was written in beautifully scripted Greek a word that seems to have been a word like επτηρούγ(χ?)α with a squiggle after the γ(χ?) which to me was indecipherable.
Since this has clearly nothing to do with the ΙΣ ΧΣ ΝΙ ΚΑ logo, could it be ευλογία; This is also used a synonym for the αντίδωρο (see above pdf, p. 20).

drsiebenmal

HandyMod
Staff member
I have an extra question, Theseus. How big was this αντίδωρο you received to have room for a ten-letter word on it?