metafrasi banner

let sleeping dogs lie

tuna

¥
Υπάρχει κάποιος αντίστοιχος ιδιωματισμός στη γλώσσα μας;

Palavra

Mod Almighty
Staff member
Ίσως και μην ταράζεις τα νερά και, λίγο πιο ιδιωματικά, λαγός τη φτέρη έσειε, κακό της κεφαλής του.

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
Συγκεντρωτικά:
αφήνω τα πράγματα όπως τα βρίσκω
Αρνητικά:
δεν ταράζω τα νερά
δεν θίγω τα κακώς κείμενα (ή: τα καλώς κείμενα)
δεν ξύνω πληγές
δεν ανακατεύω τα σκατά

tuna

¥
Σας ευχαριστώ πολύ όλους! Το "δεν ξύνω πληγές" ήταν αυτό ακριβώς που χρειαζόμουν.

drsiebenmal

HandyMod
Staff member
Μην μπλέκεσαι εκεί που δεν σε σπέρνουν
Μη φυτρώνεις εκεί που δεν σε σπέρνουν

Zazula

Administrator
Staff member
(Άσχετο με το αρχικό ερώτημα) Σε κάποιον βαθμό οι φρ. don't rock the boat και don't make waves είναι συνώνυμα της φρ. let (the) sleeping dogs lie.

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
Οι οποίες πάνε μάλλον στο μην ταράζεις τα νερά, και λόγω του υγρού στοιχείου ή όπως έλεγε ο παππούς μου: Απού κάθεται καλά και πέλαγο γυρεύει. :)

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
Να προσθέσουμε στην ίδια σημασία και τις εκφράσεις let well alone, leave well enough alone.

Do not try to change something lest you make it worse. For example, This recipe has turned out fine in the past, so leave well enough alone. The idea behind this expression dates from ancient Greek times, specifically Aesop's fable about a fox who refused a hedgehog's offer to take out its ticks lest, by removing those that are full, other hungry ones will replace them. Put as let well alone from the early 1700s, it was first recorded as let well enough alone in 1827.
http://www.answers.com/topic/leave-well-enough-alone

Δεν ξέρω τι έχουν να πουν οι αισωπολόγοι και από ποια συλλογή προέρχεται ο μύθος, αλλά δεν τον βρήκα στους Μύθους του Wikisource. Αρκεστείτε σε μετάφραση:

Aesop was defending a demagogue at Samos who was on trial for his life when he told this story: 'A fox was crossing a river but she got swept by the current into a gully. A long time passed and she couldn't get out. Meanwhile, there were ticks swarming all over the fox's body, making her quite miserable. A hedgehog wandered by and happened to see the fox. He took pity on her and asked if he should remove the ticks, but the fox refused. The hedgehog asked the reason why, and the fox replied, "These ticks have taken their fill of me and are barely sucking my blood at this point, but if you take these ticks away, others will come and those hungry new ticks will drink up all the blood I have left!" And the same is true for you, people of Samos: this man will do you no harm since he is already wealthy, but if you condemn him to death, others will come who do not have any money, and they will rob you blind!'

Από το Oxford Dictionary of Proverbs (let well alone):

Well is normally considered here as a noun (‘what is well’), rather than an adverb. The proverb is also frequently found in the form leave well alone.
  • The shomaker thought to make his house greater. ...They pulled downe foure or fiue postes of the house. ...Why said Scoggin, when it was well you could not let it alone.
    [c 1570 Scoggin's Jests (1626) 76]
  • When a Person is tolerably well, and is subject to no painful or dangerous Distemper, I think it his Duty...to let Well alone.
    [1740 G. Cheyne Essay on Regimen p. xxxvi.]
  • Joanna quoted to me the other day an excellent proverb applied to health: ‘Let well alone.’
    [1822 M. Edgeworth Letter 12 Jan. (1971) 317]
  • This immortal work...will stand for centuries. ...It is well: it works well: let well alone.
    [1829 T. L. Peacock Misfortunes of Elphin ii.]
  • I don't think it's ever a good idea to tamper with tradition. Leave well enough alone, I say.
    [1985 R. R. Irvine Ratings are Murder xx.]
  • From what I can tell, most people are members of the ‘Let's Leave Well Enough Alone’ and ‘If It Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It’ clubs.
    [2002 Washington Post 17 May B6]

Στο τέλος βλέπουμε και την πρόσφατη αμερικανική εκδοχή: If it ain't broke, don't fix It.

This expression has been popularized from the idea that any attempt to improve on a system that already works well is pointless, and may even be detrimental. Reportedly it originated in the United States in the 20th century from Bert Lance who, as a government official, was quoted in May 1977 issue of Nation's Business as saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Lance's advice, according to William Safire, "has become a source of inspiration to anti-activists."

Το ρητό αυτό διάφοροι συγγραφείς μανατζαρέικων το αντιστρέφουν (if it ain't broke, fix it) διότι έτσι βρίσκουν κι εκείνοι δουλειά.

Και σχετική κρητική παροιμία που δεν θα τη βρείτε στα βιβλία αυτά:
Όποιος καλά του κάθεται και πιο καλά γυρεύει
ο διάολος του κώλου του κουκιά του μαγειρεύει.