metafrasi banner

certificates of deposit

cosmasad

Hello friends,

Can someone please help me find the right phrasing for “I have the impression that certificates of deposit don’t generate any interest these days.” What comes to mind is “Έχω την εντύπωση ότι οι πιστοποιητικές κατάθεσης δεν έχουν επιτόκιο.” Is that correct?

Thank you:)

Cosmas

No, it is not correct. A certificate of deposit is πιστοποιητικό κατάθεσης (plural: πιστοποιητικά κατάθεσης), but this terminology is not in much use in Greece. The point with certificates of deposit, as distinct from some forms of savings accounts, is that they are negotiable. As far as I know, this is not the case in Greece, at least not officially, and anyway certificates of deposit are not widespread and they are unknown to most people. For all practical purposes, the Greek reader would understand better if you talked about προθεσμιακές καταθέσεις (= time deposits). On the other hand, interest is not επιτόκιο (= rate of interest) but τόκος.

Depending on the context and the level of language, you could thus say, Έχω την εντύπωση ότι σήμερα οι προθεσμιακές καταθέσεις [OR τα πιστοποιητικά κατάθεσης] δεν έχουν τόκο [OR, in a progressively more technical language, είναι άτοκες / δεν είναι τοκοφόρες / δεν αποφέρουν τόκο].

pontios

προθεσμιακές καταθέσεις[/I] (= time deposits)

Good explanation, Θέμη (thank you). :)
Did you mean term deposits or fixed term deposits? -- I thought we'd better keep on the right side of the gods of the investment underworld.

pontios

Θέμη, ευχαριστούμε!

Time deposit.

Καλό Σαββατοκύριακο!
Thanks, Palavra (and Themi).
Πρώτη φορά συναντώ τον όρο, αν και όντως υπάρχει (στην Αυστραλία το γνωρίζουμε ως term deposit).
That's why I love this forum; there's always something new to be found/seen/discussed/learned.