Φτου σου, κοπελάρα μου

A quick question! Presumably here φτου has a positive meaning like 'whew' or 'wow'?;)

Another point:-

Άρχισαν τα όργανα
το παλιό ντερβίσικο
να μη μου το χόρευες
θα 'τανε αφύσικο

Does να here simply mean 'look! Don't dance it for me' or 'you shouldn't be danciing it for me'?

Palavra

Mod Almighty
Staff member
In Greece, just as in Turkey and in other countries of the Mediterranean and in the Middle East, people believe in the evil eye. So, when you give someone a compliment and you believe in the evil eye, you either spit lightly towards their direction, or you say «φτου», as if you were spitting, in order to reverse the side effects of a compliment, lest something befell the person to whom you are giving the compliment.

So, φτού σου, κοπελάρα μου = φτου σου, να μη σε ματιάσω, κοπελάρα μου = ptui to you, you gorgeous girl, lest I give you the evil eye.

(It kind of sounds more natural in Greek, but when you translate it in English you actually see how superstitious it is!)

I noticed a version this in Turkey much more, where it's unthinkable of praising a baby or a small child and not follow it by something to the effect of "may Allah protect her".

The other is a volitional phrase that serves as a subject to the verb that follows: να μη μου το χόρευες θα 'τανε αφύσικο = θα ήταν αφύσικο να μη μου το (ενν. το ζεϊμπέκικο) χόρευες. That is, quite the opposite of what you thought at first: It would be unnatural if you didn't dance zeybekiko for me.