metafrasi banner

bells and smells / smells and bells

bells and smells pl (plural only)
(informal, pejorative) A style of religious worship emphasising high ritual, including use of vestments, bells and incense, especially that of High Church Anglicanism, Anglo-Catholicism and Roman Catholicism. Although the Orthodox Church uses incense, vestment, small bells on the censer and several other pieces of ritual equipment, the term isn't applied to our Church.

Δεν ξέρω να υπάρχει αντίστοιχη έκφραση στα ελληνικά. Αν πάντως λέγαμε "με άμφια και λιβανιστήρια" όλοι θα καταλάβαιναν.

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
There's also the biblical «μετά φανών και λαμπάδων», but only with vision, without sound and smell, and used beyond the church in the wider sense of pomp and circumstance.

ΦΡ μετά φανών και λαμπάδων, με μεγάλη λαμπρότητα, μεγαλοπρέπεια, πανηγυρικά (συνήθ. με περιπαικτική χροιά): Οι οπαδοί του τον υποδέχτηκαν μετά φανών και λαμπάδων.

—Με θυμιατά και κουδουνάκια, κύριε;

Κεριά και λιβάνια!

Tanks, 'Man. Two very useful expressions. I liked the example sentences:
Με θυμιατό και κουδουνάκια, κύριε;
κεριά και λιβάνια.
A typically clever illustration! :):)

drsiebenmal

HandyMod
Staff member
[...] κεριά και λιβάνια [...]

«κερί και λιβάνι» is actually and usually a not so polite riposte to someone (most of the times a child) calling «Κύριε, κύριε!» or «Κυρία, κυρία!». An example, a teacher is called by her pupil:

--Κυρία, κυρία!
--Τι θέλεις πάλι;
--Κυρία, κυρία, να πω;
--[silently] Κερί και λιβάνι, τρομάρα σου. [loudly] Ναι, Κωστάκη, πες μας...

Μετά φανών και λαμπάδων, είπε ο Δαεμάνος. Επίσης "εν πομπή και παρατάξει", που λέγεται σε διάφορα συμφραζόμενα.

Thanks, gentlefolk. From the slang.gr link that 'Man provided, δηλ.

ΠΑΡΑΔΕΙΓΜΑ

Στο σχολείο:

— Κύριε! Κύριε!
— (εκφώνως): Κεριά και λιβάνια, Παπαδόπουλε! Δεν βλέπεις ότι αυτήν την στιγμή είμαι απασχολημένος... (από μέσα του): να παρακολουθώ τα μπούτια της νουαζέτας στο πρώτο θρανίο; Μανάρι μου, είχανε κέφι οι γονείς σου όταν σε κάνανε!

Does από μέσα του mean "aside"/"to himself"? Νουαζέτα has overtones of "crumpet" but beware of paedophilia... μανάρι μου also puzzles me. How do I translate this and νουαζέτα into English?:(

Εγώ ξέρω μόνο αυτήν τη νουαζέτα:

(Ήθελα να βάλω τη διαφήμιση με τα σοκολατάκια που ανοιγοκλείνουν, με τον κινέζικο χορό του Τσαϊκόφσκι, αλλά δεν τη βρίσκω πουθενά.)

Neikos

Το "από μέσα του" σημαίνει ότι σκέφτηκε κάτι χωρίς να το πει φωναχτά.

Δεν ξέρω ποια αγγλική λέξη θα ταίριαζε για το μανάρι. Καλό θα ήταν νομίζω να βρεις μια παλιομοδίτικη (dated?) που να μην πολυχρησιμοποιείται πια. Χρησιμοποιείται πάντως και για άντρες και για γυναίκες και δεν ξέρω αν είναι ιδέα μου, αλλά πιο πολλές φορές άκουσα γυναίκες να τη χρησιμοποιούν παρά άντρες. Άσε που μου θυμίζει ταινίες με τον Τσάκωνα που τον έλεγε "μανάρι μου" η σπιτονοικοκυρά του. :) Δες το "Η Μεγάλη Απόφραξη" Θησέα, σπουδαία ταινία.

Υποτίθεται ότι τα παστάκια και οι νουαζέτες χρησιμοποιούνται και από άλλους πέρα από αυτόν που έκανε την καταχώρηση;

Thanks, as ever, Neikos! I found this entry in ΛΚΝ:
μανάρι, το [manári] Ο44 : 1. (λαϊκότρ.) αρνί, κατσίκι ή μοσχάρι που το τρέφουν ειδικά, επειδή το προορίζουν για σφάξιμο· θρεφτάρι: Bόσκω / ταΐζω το ~. Σφάξαμε το ~ για να γιορτάσουμε το Πάσχα. 2α. (μτφ.) για αγαπημένο πρόσωπο, ιδίως ως χαϊδευτική προσφώνηση. β. ως θαυμαστικό επιφώνημα σε ωραία, άγνωστη γυναίκα. μαναράκι το YΠΟKΟΡ. μαναρούλι το YΠΟKΟΡ. μανάρα η MΕΓΕΘ στη σημ. 2β. [ίσως μάν(α) -άρι· μανάρ(ι) -ούλι· μανάρ(ι) μεγεθ. -α].
2β seems the most relevant entry in the light of your comments. :)
I'll watch the film when I'm a bit more confident in my language comprehension......

SBE

¥
Μανάρι= someone desirable. As desirable as an animal fattened for slaughter. I wouldn't call it old fashioned and it is used for both sexes.
Noυαζέτα= no idea. The only one I know, too, is the chocolate. If this piece is from around the time the chocolates came out and were ubiquitous, it might be a humorous way to say something like "a tasty morsel".
As for paedophilia, and since sexual harassment is in the news a lot recently, I would argue that most women in Greece have experience of at least one high school teacher who was too fond of looking at the student's legs. It is after all a known fact that most women between the ages of 12-16 have proportionately longer legs than grown women, which in humans it is seen as a sign of beauty. In this case the students could be in τρίτη λυκείου in which case they could be 18+.

Thanks, SBE. There is no doubt that many female (and male) students at all ages are attractive and aware of the effect that they have on their teachers (male and female). But sexuality is a dangerous thing at all levels of society from the President of the US to Joe Bloggs. I suspect that is why the rules restricting the expression of it are hedged around by so many prohibitions. Outside a close relationship, like marriage, its free expression can lead to irreparable damage and hurt. Following one's instincts can lead to temporary pleasure but lasting tragedy. Male teachers such as I was (and am but very part time) have to learn to distinguish between the attractiveness, sometimes the beauty of a student, and going beyond that to a dubious self-indulgence. For many female students flirt, even have crushes: that can have a certain appeal. But that is all.