Έμπαινε

I don't understand the two uses of the above word in slang.gr, particularly the second of the examples given:-
"
Η φράση έχει δύο χρήσεις, από τις οποίες πιο συνήθης η δεύτερη:

Κυριολεκτική: Ως προστακτική ενεστώτα του ρήματος μπαίνω, άλλος τύπος των «μπες!», «έμπα!»

Μεταφορική: Χρησιμοποιείται από τον ομιλητή για να παρακινήσει κάποιον σε κάτι καλό που έχει ξεκινήσει να κάνει, συνώνυμο των «Προχώρα!», «Καλά το πας!».

ΠΑΡΑΔΕΙΓΜΑ

Έμπαινε στο αμάξι ρε, κι έχουμε αργήσει! Θα μας χέσει πάλι ο άλλος!

- Μ' αρέσει πολύ η Δανάη, η καινούρια... Και μου έχει δείξει κι αυτή δείγματα ότι ενδιαφέρεται!
- Έμπαινε, μεγάλε!! Και για πες λεπτομέρειες... Το κινητό της το έχεις;;

I'd be grateful for help!:(

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
Theseus, you're probably wondering about my title for this thread, «Έμπαινε γιούζου».

First of all, let me say that I should have added a vocative comma: Έμπαινε, γιούζου.

The title was inspired by an old football slogan, "Έμπαινε, Γιούτσο!"

http://provocateur.gr/archive/1155/h-mera-poy-gennhthhke-h-frash-synthhma-empaine-gioytso

My first reaction when I read about yuzu in the Greek menu ("σάλτσα γιούζου") was "Who is that yuzos whom they turned into a sauce", "Ποιος είναι αυτός ο γιούζος που τον κάνανε σάλτσα;" The old slogan was but a step away.

Thanks, both. The meaning is clear now, even though I still have to think twice about the meaning of the English expression 'way to go (=well done! literally or sarcastically). Yes, Nickel, the question was about your title for the thread έμπαινε, γιούζου.
Another point: does the second example above in blue bold writing mean:-
-"I like Danae, my new lady friend [stilted, I know but how else can you translate it?], a lot. And she's also given me signs that she's interested in me.
-"Go for it, buddy! Have you got her mobile number"?":(

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
- Μ' αρέσει πολύ η Δανάη, η καινούρια... Και μου έχει δείξει κι αυτή δείγματα ότι ενδιαφέρεται!

I like the new girl, Danae, a lot. [Could be the new employee or a new student etc.] And she's given me signs that she too is interested in me.
—Go for it, man! And give us the details... Have you got her mobile number?

I think that in this context "Έμπαινε" should be rendered "Go for it!" or "Make your move!" as he is encouraging his friend to try and seduce the lady in question.

Earion

Staff member
I think we must explain to Theseus why the slogan Έμπαινε, Γιούτσο! gained such notoriety. It was because the surname of the celebrated striker of Οlympiakos Νίκος Γιούτσος rhymes with the obscene word for the virile member in Greek.

Κάθε φορά που μπαίνω σε αυτό το νήμα, μου έρχεται στο μυαλό ένα συγκεκριμένο τραγούδι: :-)

Thanks, Dharvatis. Do you have the full lyrics to

Έμπαινε Χάρρυ μου, έμπαινε Χάρρυ μου
έμπαινε, έμπαινε βρε παλικάρι μου…
I'd be interested to have them. :)

SBE

¥
Ι was also going to say that unless you are familiar with Harry Klynn's 1978 record, which includes a series of sketches and songs that are all mentioned or sampled in the above song, it will be hard to understand the references. And there is no point in looking up the cultural references because they are now almost 40 years old and most are about politicians and situations of the period.

SBE

¥
I was also going to say that once we reached a certain level of English at language school, we were asked to throw away our bilingual dictionaries and to stop translating in our minds. From a translation point of view, not a good thing, but from an educational point of view, a great way to practice. So I would suggest, Theseus, that you no longer use translations and instead listen to the lyrics (if you exclude the cultural references, they are quite simple).

Well, here's my shot at the lyrics - the parts in bold are references to sketches in Harry Klynn's record:

Έμπαινε, Χάρρυ μου, έμπαινε, Χάρρυ μου,
Έμπαινε, έμπαινε, βρε παλικάρι μου
Τώρα που πάψαν οι δικές μας οι φωνές
Ριχ’ τους Τραμπάκουλα και τέρας του Λοχ Νες

Έμπαινε κι αλώνιζε εσύ την αγορά
Εμείς δεν ευκαιρούμε, γράφουμ’ έργα σοβαρά
κι απ’ τη σοβαρότητα που σου ‘λεγα και πριν
πάθαμε την πλάκα μας και πέσαμε στο πλην

Έμπαινε, Χάρρυ μου, έμπαινε, Χάρρυ μου,
Έμπαινε, έμπαινε, βρε παλικάρι μου
πώς μ' έργα δύσκολα κερδίζουμε διπλά
θα σου εξηγήσω τώρα όμορφα κι απλά

Ουγκάγκα μπουμ μπουμ χι γκάπα γκουμ μπιρλί γκαγκά
αούγκιγκι αούγκιγκι μπάγκαλα γκάουγκα γκα
Ουγκάγκα μπουμ μπουμ χι γκάπα γκουμ μπιρλί γκαγκά
αούγκιγκι αούγκιγκι μπάγκαλα γκάουγκα γκα

Ελπίζω να κατάλαβες γιατί χαθήκαμε
Μας πήρε η νύχτα εμάς και νυχτωθήκαμε
Ώσπου να ξεμπλέξουμε τα μπούτια μας λοιπόν
ρίχ’ τους Ρεζίλη κι εκπομπές Λυκομιφών

Έμπαινε κι αλώνιζε εσύ την αγορά
Εμείς δεν ευκαιρούμε, γράφουμ’ έργα σοβαρά
κι απ’ τη σοβαρότητα που σου ‘λεγα και πριν
πάθαμε την πλάκα μας και πέσαμε στο πλην

Αυτά σ' τα λέω με αγάπη και δίχως πείσματα
και σ’ όλους τους δικούς μου δώσε χαιρετίσματα
κι αν δεις και καναν άλλον με τα ίδια τα μυαλά
πες του θα φάμε γλάρο, να ‘ρθει να φάει καλά.

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
Για τη Λυκομιφόν και τον Χάρη Ρεζίλη: Ο Χάρρυ Κλύνν (πάλι)

Για άλλο έψαχνα, αλλά έπεσα πάνω σ' αυτό κι αμέσως θυμήθηκα τούτο το νήμα. :laugh:

Και για το ουγκαγκαμπούμ μπουμ γι:

Ένα σχόλιο με πολλαπλή στόχευση. «Δοξάστε με!»

Ουγκαγκαμπούμ μπουμ γι
ουγκαγκαμπούμ μπιρλί γκαγκά
Αούγκιγκι αούγκιγκι μπάγκα-λάγκα ου γκαγκά

Wow, Dharvatis! Thanks so much. And also for the parts in bold to the cultural background that Earion mentioned. Clearly he was right but I'm delighted to have the lyrics, which I couldn't find anywhere. :):) and to 'Man the Indefatigable for his input....