metafrasi banner

architectural salvage

cosmasad

Good morning friends,

Does any one have a term for an architectural salvage place? -- As a kind of antique store that sells old doors, windows, bathtubs, sinks, etc?

Thank you.

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
Let’s see what I can remember.

We have παλαιοπωλείο, which can be a junk shop (παλιατζίδικο, colloquially) but also an antique shop.

We use the French word αντικερί for antique shop. They often advertise themselves using the word αντίκες.

An αρχαιοπωλείο deals in ancient artefacts in the hands of private collectors or copies of ancient artefacts.

Architectural antiques are αρχιτεκτονικές αντίκες. We don’t seem to have shops using that name. They would still call themselves αντικερί (perhaps, αντικερί αρχιτεκτονημάτων) or, at best, simply αρχιτεκτονικές αντίκες.

maria78

I would suggest the following

'Αρχιτεκτονικής αξίας αντίκα' or perhaps this way around 'Αντίκα αρχιτεκτονικής αξίας'

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
I would suggest the following

'Αρχιτεκτονικής αξίας αντίκα' or perhaps this way around 'Αντίκα αρχιτεκτονικής αξίας'

For "salvage" you'd need the plural: αντίκες αρχιτεκτονικής αξίας (= antiques of architectural value / interest).

Μα λέμε όμως "αρχιτεκτονικής αξίας"; "Αρχιτεκτονικού ενδιαφέροντος" ίσως.
"Μάντρα υλικών" αν μιλάμε απλώς για παλιά/μεταχειρισμένα αντικείμενα, όχι αντίκες.