metafrasi banner

If you dare (video clip)

In this video clip at roughly 17:21 minutes, what is the phrase for 'if you dare'?

It's not one of the regular phrases imho. :(

Neikos

Είναι λίγο ελεύθερη η αγγλική μετάφραση στο βίντεο, Θησέα. Λέει "Πάτα τον ίσκιο μου να παραξηγηθώ". Είναι "παρεξηγηθώ" κανονικά, απλά το λέει μάγκικα. Από το ρήμα παρεξηγούμαι ή παρεξηγιέμαι, αλλά στον προφορικό λόγω κυρίως, μπορεί να το βρεις και παραξηγιέμαι.
Δεν θα το λεγα ότι χρησιμοποιείται στη θέση του if you dare-αν τολμάς.

http://www.lexigram.gr/lex/enni/παρεξηγούμαι

Τhanks, Neikos. I'm listening now to as many clips of spoken Greek as I can at normal conversational speed to improve my fluency but the ones with subtitles help except, as here, they summarise rather than give you the actual words in Greek as well as the subtitles. The rest of the video clip about Karagiozis is unclear to me--what phrase in Greek answers to 'take the pissλ κτλ.:confused:

"... γίνεται αντικείμενο κοροϊδίας από τον Καραγκιόζη και από άλλους" (literally: [he] becomes an object of ridicule to Karaghiozis and others) is the Greek phrase that corresponds to the subtitle "All the others take the mickey out of him."

Thanks, Lefki. Now it makes sense. I just have to persevere till the majority of such a text becomes clear. I now know that this is the way to learn fluency, no matter how hard it is at first. :)

Three more small snippets for a tolerant colleague to transcribe for me!:-

1) what is the Greek original for 'electrifying the audience': 16:54 approx.
2) when Karagiozis steps on Stavrakas's shadow, what is the Greek original for 'I hardly felt a thing'. &
3) what in Greek is the dialogue between Karagiozis & Morfonios, starting at approx. 18:00.

I have tried repeatedly to figure them out but with little success.:(

Neikos

Δεν μπορώ να διακρίνω καλά τους υπότιτλους στο κινητό λόγω μικρής οθόνης, όποτε θα σου γράψω και μια δυο φράσεις παραπάνω στην πρώτη ερώτηση.
1) "...ενώ δεν βλέπεις το κοινό που είναι πίσω από το πανί, μπορείς και επικοινωνείς μαζί του με έναν περίεργο ηλεκτρισμό."

2) Δεν μπορώ να καταλάβω τι λέει εδώ o Σταύρακας. Ελπίζω να μας βοηθήσει κάποιος με καλύτερη ακοή.

3) - Χαίρετε.
- Μαμά μου. Αυτό είναι το μυτάκι μου.
- Μυτάκι είναι αυτό;
- Βεβαίως.
- Πόσο πάει το κιλό ρε μάστορα;
- Είστε αναιδέστατος.

Thanks, Neikos, for your invaluable help. All these small phrases are delivered at conversational speed & it is hard for me to hear them properly, if at all, since they seem very quick until I get used to them. The subtitle for the Stavrakas punch line is 'I hardly felt anything' but, as you say, the recording at this point is unclear.

Thanks, Neikos, for all your excellent help online & offline. Thanks for all the trouble taken on my behalf. All because of these terribly misleading subtitles! On the other hand it is helping me in my attempt to gain more fluency. :)

An update has been sent me by Neikos, when he transcribes the later dialogue from approximately 18:20 ff., where he gives me the transcript for the Greek words for "I'm staying put"' and "you scoundrel".

[o μπάρμπα-Γιώργος δέρνει τον Καραγκιόζη και τον Χατζιαβάτη:]
- Όχι, θα μείνω εδώ.
- Βρε λωποδύτες.
- Στάσου...ααα...ααα...κλπ

Λωποδύτης όντως σημαίνει και "thieving scoundrel".

Great thanks to him despite his "ancient mobile"!:;

I should point out that this video is from the BBC Greek Learning Course 1, where most of it is in Greek with (now I know) largely inaccurate subtitles. This is the cultural background to a few alphabetical letters and basic phrases. I know these phrases inside out and back to front and am more interested in the Greek background.:)