μαρκάρω (μτφ.)

I can't understand this piece of dialogue because the metaphorical meaning of the word doesn't make sense to me (της χώνομαι):-

- Δεν ξέρω πώς να σ' το πω, αλλά τελευταία μαρκάρω την ξαδέρφη σου, μπας και μου κάτσει.
- Ε, δεν τρώγεσαι. Αυτή είναι σοβαρή κοπέλα ρε, με σένα τον φλούφλη θα μπλέξει;

- Τι θα γίνει, θα γαμήσεις φέτος ή θα αλλάξει ο χρόνος έτσι;
- Γάμησέ τα. Κάνω στενό μαρκάρισμα στην Άννα από την κατασκήνωση αλλά μου το παίζει ιστορία.

It would be very much appreciated if a colleague could give me the general drift of the entire dialogue, since there are so many idiomatic phrases, even slang ones, in this short piece.

It doesn't seem to me to be a passage that only the in-crowd in slang.gr could relate to(?).

Here the meaning of μαρκάρω is not "to mark" but "to tackle" (in football). The guy tackles, i.e. presses the girl, in other words he tries to flirt her persistently.

Thanks, Marinos. So far, so good with the first sentence of the dialogue. The word μαρκάρω is puzzling me anyway, despite me knowing its etymology.

In the Rebetik song και θα κάτσω στη γωνία, the line τον πόνο το μαρκάρανε occurs:-

Οι ναύτες που μπαρκάρανε κι οι ναύτες που φουμάρανε
απ' το φιλί μια τζούρα
τον πόνο το μαρκάρανε, ταξίδια σιγοντάρανε
και 'πνίξαν τη χασούρα.

I do not know what it means in context.

As for the rest of the passage above, there are many idioms or slang phrases that are obscure.

Here is my attempt at a translation:-

-I don't know how to tell you but recently I've been putting it on to your cousin in case she lets me have it off with me.
-Don't bother(?). She's a serious girl, man. Is she going to get mixed up with a playboy like you?

-How will things turn out? Will you screw someone this year, or will the year be the same for you as it's been for me (?)?
-Sod it! I'm laying it on thick with Anna from the camp but she takes the piss out of me.

A kind of sense but you can see I'm clueless really!:(

Ε, δεν τρώγεσαι is an exclamation meaning something like "you are pathetic".
The song must use the other meaning of the word μαρκάρω, i.e. "to mark", but I cannot make what it means here. Probably from card-playing slang (as the word χασούρα also implies).

Thanks, Marinos. So the rest of my attempt at translation was vaguely right. Your hunch about a card playing term seems to be supported by an alternative reading to φουμάρανε δηλ. κουμάρανε in l.1: another word for 'gambling' or the like (Turkish kumar).

Neikos

Πού τους βρήκες αυτούς τους στίχους, Θησέα; Το "και θα κάτσω στη γωνία" φαντάζομαι ότι είναι το "Όταν πλύνω τουμπεκάκι" του Βαμβακάρη, σωστά; Αλλά τι δουλειά έχουν αυτοί οι στίχοι στο συγκεκριμένο κομμάτι; Τους βρήκες κάπου γραμμένους ή τους άκουσες σε καμιά εκτέλεση του κομματιού;

I think it's a mixture of two songs which Daeman gave me (he knew they were two songs, by marking them in separate colours. See the entry at
Κόλιντα, μέλιντα.....απ' τη Νάουσα, #8.

The first song is, as you say:-

1) Όταν πλύνω τουμπεκάκι βρε, όταν πλύνω τουμπεκάκι
&
2) Στα φορτηγά και στα γκαζάδικα δυο άντρες φίλοι
στης Σαλονίκης τα Λαδάδικα γίνονται μύλοι.
Με δυο φωτιές τα τσιπουράδικα, ρόγες σταφύλι
πίνουν αγάπες στα ορθάδικα, βαμμένα χείλη.

Οι ναύτες που μπαρκάρανε κι οι ναύτες που κουμάρανε (alternative text: φουμάρανε)
απ’ το φιλί μια τζούρα
και ’πνιξαν τη χασούρα

The last two lines of the above puzzle me.:)

Στα φορτηγά τα μεσημέρια τους δυο ναύτες μόνοι
μετράνε σκόρπια καλοκαίρια τους, κάνουν τιμόνι.
Χάνουν τις νύχτες στα αστέρια τους, θεός θυμώνει
ο Ποσειδώνας τα φεγγάρια τους τα καμακώνει.

Οι ναύτες που μπαρκάρανε κι οι ναύτες που κουμάρανε
απ’ το φιλί μια τζούρα
και ’πνιξαν τη χασούρα

There is much of these lines I find difficult but I’m working on a translation.

Neikos

Θέλω να πιστεύω ότι o Δαεμάνος σου έγραψε αυτούς τους στίχους απλώς για να δεις τη χρήση της λέξης "τζούρα" κι όχι για να ακούσεις το κομμάτι. Νομίζω πως αφού έγινε το κακό, έστω και άθελά του, πρέπει να σε αποζημιώσει με κάποιο άλλο τραγούδι για το χρόνο και την ενέργεια. :)
O στίχος πάντως λέει σίγουρα «φουμάρανε απ' το φιλί μια τζούρα» κι όχι κουμάρανε. Μάλλον εννοεί ότι πήρανε μια γεύση από το φιλί. Τους υπόλοιπους αν θες τη γνώμη μου, μην μπαίνεις στον κόπο να τους μεταφράσεις, χαμένος χρόνος είναι. Στίχοι όπως «ταξίδια σιγοντάρανε, τον πόνο μαρκάρανε» κλπ. υπάρχουν μόνο για βγαίνει το μέτρο και η ομοιοκαταληξία, μην ψάχνεις κρυφά νοήματα.

Thanks, Neikos! I'll take your advice. I took Daeman's verses wrongly because I already knew the meaning of τζούρα. So my requests for translation help had the wrong context &, as a result, I misinterpreted them. :)

SBE

¥
Some corrections on the original dialogues:
Φλούφλης is not a playboy but someone who is silly, a lightweight, and maybe a little effeminate, too.
θα αλλάξει ο χρόνος έτσι= θα σε βρει ο νέος χρόνος έτσι it will be like this until the end of the year.
Also I think it is not η Άννα από την κατασκήνωση Anna from the camp, but Άννα, από την κατασκήνωση Anna, since the camp (since they met at some camping excursion)

Thanks, SBE. I can't think of a suitable English equivalent of φλούφλης, perhaps 'namby pamby'. Your translation corrections are really helpful.

drsiebenmal

HandyMod
Staff member
Οι ναύτες που μπαρκάρανε κι οι ναύτες που κουμάρανε
απ’ το φιλί μια τζούρα
και ’πνιξαν τη χασούρα

I would like to propose an alternative explanation here, supporting κουμάρανε e.g. playing κουμάρι, dice, and μαρκάρανε having something to do with μάρκες, tokens used to play various luck games. In this alternative explanation, then, the sailors that sailed and the sailors who played dice using as a bet a small part of a kiss, they turned pain into tokens and added more voyages and thus could drown their losses.

Far-fetched, most probably, but stil...l :)

An excellent interpretation, good Dr, if you read κουμάρανε, which is a varia lectio. It still works with φουμάρανε. I like the interpretation but, as the lexilogist who solved the problem of το φωτεινό ιπποδρόμιο, the answers you give are always worthy of consideration.
Do tou think the φωτιές in verse 1 refer to their cigarettes in the dim light of the τσιπουράδικα?:)

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
Η μόνη πιθανή σημασία είναι, νομίζω, το «σημαδεύω». Απλώς πρέπει να καταλάβουμε για ποιο λόγο σημαδεύανε τον πόνο.

Πάντως, να το ξέρετε, πάντα απεχθανόμουν την προσπάθεια αποκωδικοποίησης στίχων ποιημάτων ή τραγουδιών. Κάτι η προσπάθεια για μέτρο, κάτι για ρίμα, κάτι για ποιητικότητα, πάει κατά διαόλου η διαφάνεια.

Point taken, Nickel. Still my question stands: are the φωτιές in stanza 1 an oblique reference to cigarettes?

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
Point taken, Nickel. Still my question stands: are the φωτιές in stanza 1 an oblique reference to cigarettes?

The second paragraph of my previous message was an indirect answer to that question. :)

pontios

απ’ το φιλί μια τζούρα
τον πόνο το μαρκάρανε

I'm wondering if the metaphorical meaning of the above 2 lines is: they took the breath of a kiss = they took the breath of a faint/fading kiss (as opposed to a lingering one) and instilled this (brief faint/fading) characteristic into their pain/painful memories - i.e., so that the painful memory (of their losses) doesn't linger - it quickly fades?
.....i.e., they deliberately decided not to dwell on their losses?

Like metaphorical gene splicing: where the DNA of the "pain" is cut, and a gene from the "brief fading kiss/peck" is inserted - resulting in (and ensuring) a brief/fading pain?

drsiebenmal

HandyMod
Staff member
Πάντως, να το ξέρετε, πάντα απεχθανόμουν την προσπάθεια αποκωδικοποίησης στίχων ποιημάτων ή τραγουδιών. Κάτι η προσπάθεια για μέτρο, κάτι για ρίμα, κάτι για ποιητικότητα, πάει κατά διαόλου η διαφάνεια.

Still, still, it's fun to try... :)

So, here's my try for the δυο φωτιές: One fire could be the τσίπουρο and the second would be the girls με τα βαμμένα χείλη which remind of ρόγες σταφύλι. (The rhyming could be considered an assistance, here.)

Thanks, Dr. I take it that ρόγες σταφύλι means hanging 'bunches of grapes' but the phrase in context also suggests ''nipples'? Such is the nature of poetry: hints and guesses,/Hints followed by guesses......as Nickel indicates.:)

Ρώγαρόγα, αν και δεν το έχω συνηθίσει έτσι) δεν είναι το τσαμπί του σταφυλιού (bunch) αλλά ο μεμονωμένος καρπός (fruit, υποθέτω). Δεν ξέρω αν τα βαμμένα χείλη έχουν το χρώμα των σταφυλιών, ή αν είναι σαρκώδη σαν ζουμερά σταφύλια, αλλά ίσως εδώ οι ρώγες αναφέρονται στο ίδιο το τσίπουρο, που έχει αποσταχθεί από κατάλοιπα της οινοπαραγωγής, δηλαδή από σταφύλια.

Το συμπέρασμα; Ότι τα τραγούδια αυτά γενικώς με μπερδεύουν.