metafrasi banner

I am sending you Robin and my tax return

cosmasad

Good morning friends,

Two in a row:)

I am struggling with the phrasing for "I am sending you Robin and my tax return."

"Σου στέλνω ένα αντιγραφώ της φορολογική δήλωσης της Ρομπιν και εγώ"

Σου στέλνω ένα αντιγραφώ της φορολογική δήλωσης της Ρομπιν και εμενα"

The words "και εγω" or "και εμενα" just don't sound right to my ear. Wondering what you would suggest.

Thanking you.

Cosmas

SBE

¥
Κάτι δεν μου κάθεται καλά με το Robin and my.
Και το σωστό είναι: σου στέλνω αντίγραφο της φ.δ. της Ρομπιν και εμού, ή σε στρωτά ελληνικά, σου στέλνω αντίγραφο της φδ μας, και εννοείται ότι εφόσον ο παραλήπτης τους ξέρει δεν χρειάζεται άλλες διευκρινήσεις.

cosmasad

Wow, thank you guys. Marino, could I ask you if "tax return" in the option you suggested would be as
follows:

"της δικής μου φορολογικής δήλωσης και της Ρομπιν"

Thank you.

Κάτι δεν μου κάθεται καλά με το Robin and my.

Η πλήρης έλλειψη κτητικού s, που το κάνει να ακούγεται σαν να στέλνει ο ομιλητής τη Ρόμπιν μαζί με τη φορολογική δήλωση; :)

Εφόσον η φορολογική δήλωση είναι μία, θα προτιμούσα:
... της φορολογικής δήλωσής μας, της Ρόμπιν και εμένα.
Άλλωστε και στα αγγλικά μάλλον έτσι θα λεγόταν: ... of our tax return, Robin's and mine.

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
Hi from Methoni.

I am sending you Robin's and my tax return.
Σου στέλνω τη φορολογική δήλωση της Ρόμπιν και εμένα. (I find εμού too formal.)

I am sending you a copy of Robin's and my tax return.
Σου στέλνω αντίγραφο της φορολογικής δήλωσης της Ρόμπιν και εμένα.

And variations already mentioned.

If the tax return is submitted in common. But are {I} and Robin related? They might be siblings, in which case my suggestion is better ;)

cosmasad

Wow. This is amazing. Marino's point is interesting. "Are Robin and I related?" The answer is yes -- but what if they are siblings? You would think that it wouldn't matter whether the tax return belonged to two siblings or a married couple. But it seems to.

Thank you.

I don't know the tax system abroad, but in Greece a married couple submits tax return in common, so this would be one document. But if they are siblings or, say, just friends, we talk about two documents.

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
If the tax return is submitted in common. But are {I} and Robin related? They might be siblings, in which case my suggestion is better ;)

I suppose the English phrasing in that case would be "I am sending you Robin and my tax returns" — though, of course, this may create the same conundrum as, say, "Raise your hands". :-)