metafrasi banner

I am sending you a copy of the contract we signed

cosmasad

Good morning friends,

Am I right in saying that “Σας στέλνω ένα αντίγραφο του συμβόλαιου που υπογράψαμε...» is the right translation for "I am sending you a copy of the contract we signed..."?

I am particularly interested in the word "copy" so that the recipient knows I am not sending them the original.

Thank you.

Cosmas

SBE

¥
Σας στέλνω αντίγραφο του συμβόλαιου που υπογράψαμε.
No need for the article.

cosmasad

Thank you, SBE. Now to probe a little deeper. If I want to say "I am sending you 3 copies of the contract" would I say "Σας στελνω 3 αντιγραφα του συμβολαιου
" ? Somehow that doesn't sound right. Is there a more casual, colloquial way of saying it?

Thank you.

Palavra

Mod Almighty
Staff member
Σας στέλνω 3 αντίγραφα της σύμβασης που υπογράψαμε, normal, everyday usage (note that συμβόλαιο is a notarial deed. Yes, it's frequently used by non-lawyers instead of σύμβαση, but still :))

SBE

¥
I think the question has now become one of the use of the indefinite article in Greek.
The indefinite article ένας/ μία/ ένα is the same as the numerical adjective one. Its usage is not the same as that of the indefinite article "a" in English.

Σας στέλνω αντίγραφο... = I am sending you a copy
Σας στέλνω ένα αντίγραφο...= I am sending you one copy (as opposed to two, or five).

More on the usage of the indefinite article in modern Greek here.