metafrasi banner

it made x horror look like a Sunday school picnic

This is a common phrase in English to describe how a major horror bears no comparison with a minor one. E.g.:

The massacre of innocent civilians in Mosul made the 7/7 bombings look like a Sunday school picnic.

Sunday school is a class organized by a church that some children go to on Sundays in order to learn about Christianity.
I went to the young people's service in the morning and to Sunday school in the afternoon. A Sunday school picnic is an annual event, which involves an outing with a picnic and lots of games: an event of innocent, 'good, clean fun'.

What in Greek would the highlighted phrases be?

Δεν ξέρω τι διαφορές ακριβώς έχει το δικό μας κατηχητικό από το αγγλικό Sunday school, αλλά είναι σίγουρα κάτι παραπλήσιο· η λέξη θα πρέπει να σου είναι γνώριμη, καθώς προέρχεται από την κατήχηση (catechism). Πικνίκ δεν νομίζω να διοργανώνουν, αλλά κάποια κάνουν εκδρομές σε κατασκηνώσεις· λογικά η «εκδρομή του κατηχητικού» είναι ένα καλό αντίστοιχο για το «Sunday school picnic».

Άρα μία πιθανή μετάφραση είναι η εξής: Η σφαγή αθώων πολιτών στη Μοσούλη έκανε τις βομβιστικές επιθέσεις της 7ης Ιουλίου να θυμίζουν εκδρομή του κατηχητικού.

Thanks, Duke. An excellent rendering! What is the Greek for 'good clean fun'--a phrase in these more sophisticated days which almost excites mockery, I think. :(:)

Thanks, Marinos. 'Sunday school' suggests innocent naivety & lack of sophistication. I suppose that the phrase gained popularity partly because of the alliteration.

το χ ωχριά μπροστά στο ψ = x pales into insignificance compared with y.
Not unrelated :)