με πήρες στο λαιμό σου

Does the above phrase mean 'was I the cause of your suffering'? I know the phrase has a history. One account has this interesting note about a similar phrase:-

Πήρε το κρίμα στο λαιμό του
Στο Βυζάντιο όταν κάποιος πλούσιος καταδικαζόταν να μείνει στη φυλακή, είχε δικαίωμα να αντικατασταθεί από κάποιον άλλο. Οι άνθρωποι οι οποίοι δέχονταν να μπουν φυλακή έναντι αμοιβής καλούνταν "κριματάρηδες" επειδή έπαιρναν το αμάρτημα (κρίμα) επάνω τους. Από τότε έμεινε και η φράση "πήρε το κρίμα στο λαιμό του".

Sarantakos also has a long entry on the phrase on his website.
I should like to hear a definition with possible translations.:confused:

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
Πρώτα πρώτα, το σχετικό λήμμα από το βιβλίο του Σαραντάκου:

παίρνω κάποιον στο λαιμό μου: γίνομαι αιτία να υποστεί κάποιος συμφορά· είμαι υπεύθυνος για τη δυστυχία του. Αρχικά η φράση ήταν σε παίρνω στο λαιμό μου, δηλ. «αναλαμβάνω εγώ να σε προστατεύσω» (λέμε επίσης σε παίρνω πάνω μου) και έτσι τη χρησιμοποιεί π.χ. ο Κολοκοτρώνης. Όμως, πολλές τέτοιες υποσχέσεις δεν θα είχαν αίσιο τέλος, οπότε η φράση πήρε τη σημερινή μορφή της.
Χαρτοπαίχτης, μέθυσος και με άλλας αρετάς ακόμη. Είπαν πως ξαναπαντρεύτηκε αλλού, δια να πάρει και άλλον κόσμον εις τον λαιμόν του, ο ασυνείδητος! [Αλέξ. Παπαδιαμάντης, «Η σταχομαζώχτρα»]​
http://www.public.gr/product/logia-toy-aera/prod5390110pp/

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
Δεν ξέρω αν είναι ακριβής η άλλη εξήγηση. Προέρχεται από το βιβλίο του Τάκη Νατσούλη Λέξεις και φράσεις παροιμιώδεις, το οποίο συγκεντρώνει αρκετές παλιότερες εργασίες, αλλά με πολλές ευφάνταστες ή απλώς βολικές εξηγήσεις της προέλευσης των φράσεων.

Τώρα, για τη μετάφραση, φαίνεται από το λήμμα του Σαραντάκου ότι είναι το αντίθετο: με πήρες στο λαιμό σου > you got me into trouble, you are the cause of my suffering.

Earion

Staff member
A word of advice, Theseus. Never give faith to Takis Natsoulis. Even where he is right it's wiser to assume he's wrong.

Thanks, Nickel for this detailed answer. So there are two different interpretations:- 1) i was the cause of your suffering or 2) you were the cause of my suffering. In the folksong from Ky SBE translates it as '' you caused me suffering, which makes more sense than meaning 1. See Τσιριγώτικος in Discussing anything under the sun. It is a little puzzling that this idiom can mean two opposite things.
Sorry, Earion, I answered before your comment. But in the Τσιριγώτικος the phrase must mean what SBE translated it as ' you caused me suffering'.:confused:

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
Both SBE and I have translated "με πήρες στο λαιμό σου" as "you have caused me suffering". What is causing you confusion?

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
A word of advice, Theseus. Never give faith to Takis Natsoulis. Even where he is right it's wiser to assume he's wrong.

Many Internet sources use Natsoulis' book without mentioning their source. So you can't always tell where the story comes from.

My initial confusion has been cleared up. I found that the idiom seemed to have two contrary meanings. It seems clear that there is only one correct one, viz. 'you caused me suffering'. In any case, it is a very peculiar expression.
Could you translate the sentence from The Gleaner for me:-
Χαρτοπαίχτης, μέθυσος με άλλας αρετάς ακόμη. Είπαν πως ξαναπαντρεύτηκε αλλού, δια να πάρει και άλλον κόσμον εις τον λαιμόν του, ο ασυνείδητος! [Αλέξ. Παπαδιαμάντης, «Η σταχομαζώχτρα»].:)

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
Could you translate the sentence from The Gleaner for me:-
Χαρτοπαίχτης, μέθυσος με άλλας αρετάς ακόμη. Είπαν πως ξαναπαντρεύτηκε αλλού, δια να πάρει και άλλον κόσμον εις τον λαιμόν του, ο ασυνείδητος! [Αλέξ. Παπαδιαμάντης, «Η σταχομαζώχτρα»].:)

A card-player, a drunk, and with still other virtues to boot. Rumour had it that he remarried elsewhere, in order to drag down yet another family, the scoundrel!

Translated by Elizabeth Key Fowden

https://deniseharveypublisher.gr/assets/0000/0372/PAPADIAMANTHS_-_The_Gleaner.pdf