Για να μην πιάσουμε την αδιάκοπη τρισχιλιετή και βάλε...

In a thread Nickel started δηλ. Μήπως να κάψουμε και ομοίωμα της Μέρκελ μπροστά στη γερμανική πρεσβεία; reply #113, Earion wrote Δεν είναι μόνο μικρόψυχος ο πρύτανης, είναι και τυφλός. Γράφει λες και δεν έχει και η δικιά μας ιστορία, των Νεοελλήνων, σκελετούς στο ντουλάπι. Upon which the good Dr wrote:-

What quite is a good translation of this? I'm getting the main drift of Nickel's thread, with the subsequent remarks & replies but the use of πιάσουμε here & βάλε have stumped me. :confused:

SBE

¥
Not to mention the 3000-years-and-more (language)...

Πιάνω ένα θέμα = αρχίζω να ασχολούμαι με ένα θέμα
Για να μην πιάσουμε το θέμα= Και πού να πιάσουμε το θέμα= Not to mention ...
(time/ date/ amount) και βάλε= και ακόμα περισσότερο
τρισχιλιετής και βάλε= 3000 years old, and more
Αδιάκοπη τρισχιλιετής= this is referring to the Greek language, making fun of those who claim that the Greek language is one unified language and has been for the past 3000 years and therefore one can use any word from any period of the language in present day speech (and they usually do), who also usually happen to be ημιμαθείς προγονολάτρες.

drsiebenmal

HandyMod
Staff member
All explanations/interpretations given above by SBE are correct. But then, one would ask, what is the meaning of a reference to the 3000-years-old-language in answer to a post referring to the current, Modern Greek history?

There is one more step missing: The reader should combine the (assumed as a known Lexilogian standard) temporal reference to the language and transfer it to the 3.000 years of (written) history of the Greeks, which is also full of atrocities committed and of bleak times.

Thanks both! At least it was worth asking the question. For 'not to mention' I only knew για να μην αναφέρω και, ξέχωρα, χωρίς να γίνει λόγος και για.
I assumed that βάλε was the imperative of βάζω but that was as far as it went.
The meaning of the good Dr's 2nd paragraph re 'the one step missing' eludes me. Perhaps it can be explained more simply to me.:) The inability to understand its significance lies with me, since on matters like this I feel out of my depth.:(

drsiebenmal

HandyMod
Staff member
Δεν είναι μόνο μικρόψυχος ο πρύτανης, είναι και τυφλός. Γράφει λες και δεν έχει και η δικιά μας ιστορία, των Νεοελλήνων, σκελετούς στο ντουλάπι.

Earion speaks of the Modern Greek history. I commented that the "3000-years-old-one" is not to be forgotten. Which one is that? Not just the language, as SBE explained, but the whole Greek history, full of glory and shame. (That's the extra step, going from just the language to the whole history.)