τσαχπινογαργαλιάρα /-ης

Τσακπινογαργαλιάρα. I know the Turkish word çapkin meaning 'womaniser' of a man & 'flirt' of a woman but what is the significance of the compound? Does the γαργαλιάρης mean 'teaser' as in the crude English 'prickteaser'? The τσιφτετέλι certainly is erotic in this sense, like the Archaic Greek κόρδαξ. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPmxL-Lpb70.

:eek:I haven't put the video clip up, since its omission avoids accusations against me of prurience....:laugh:

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
...Usual form with χ, τσαχπινογαργαλιάρα.

Hear, hear!

And if you hear τσακπίνα, Theseus, it would probably be either from a foreign speaker or a native one foreign to this word and overcorrecting it.

τσαχπίνης -α -ικο [tsaxpínis]: αυτός που με χαριτωμένα καμώματα προσελκύει την προσοχή και τη συμπάθεια των άλλων και κυρίως για γυναίκα που προκαλεί το αντρικό ενδιαφέρον: Tσαχπίνα γυναίκα.

[τουρκ. çapkιn `γυναικάς, με μάτια ηδυπαθή΄ -ης με μετάθ. [pk > kp] και ανομ. τρόπου άρθρ. [kp > xp] ]

Or in titles of old songs, like those over at κατιφές, or this one:

which may also be overcorrected by the record company executives in those days.

drsiebenmal

HandyMod
Staff member
The word, in the more correct imho form τσαχπινογαργαλιάρα, (+1 to sarant & daeman) was one of most commented upon new entries in the newest (2014) big Greek dictionary, the Χρηστικό λεξικό της νεοελληνικής γλώσσας (της Ακαδημίας Αθηνών):

τσαχπινογαργαλιάρα (χαϊδ.): αυτή που είναι ζωηρή, γεμάτη χάρη και νάζι: (ως επιθ.) ~γυναίκα (=καμωματού, ναζιάρα, πεταχτούλα)

Thanks, all. I came across this word by chance & couldn't find it anywhere until I added slang.gr to my search & lo & behold! there it was..... Sometimes, not in this instance, I find slang.gr hard to translate & additionally bogged down with multiple cross references.::(

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
Since the good doctor mentioned "newest" and "big" for a dictionary, I think should add the relevant entry from ΜΗΛΝΕΓ, which, not being necessarily confined to paper, has a substantial piece on this adjective and also includes the adjectives τσαχπινιάρης and τσαχπινογαργαλιάρικος in separate entries.

Κοίτα να δεις τσαχπινογαργαλιές σε δύο λεξικά! Lookshurry!

Neikos

Περιέργως, το Βικιλεξικό αναφέρει ότι τσαχπινογαργαλιάρης είναι o ομοφυλόφιλος άντρας. Αυτό έχει ως πρώτη επιλογή, χωρίς να αναφέρει καθόλου τις παραπάνω. Δεν νομίζω ότι είναι και πολύ συνηθισμένη αυτή η χρήση.

https://el.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/τσαχπινογαργαλιάρης

Υπάρχει βέβαια και η τσαχπινογαργαλόπουστα που το έχει και το σλανγκ, αλλά κι αυτό δεν θα έλεγα ότι πολυχρησιμοποιείται.

https://www.slang.gr/definition/3508-tsaxpinogargalopousta

Thanks again, 'Man and Neikos! The Patakis dictionary seems an essential. I see it is free for the first year but don't know how much it is after that. Thanks to Neikos for commenting that the main definition in Βικιλεξικό of τσαχπινογαργαλιάρης referring to a homosexual man is a rare not primary usage. Overall, thanks for all the help from colleagues. :)