metafrasi banner

Call me sentimental but at the time, I was, like, cringe, but now I'm like, "That was so cool".

The words of Jeremy Clarkson's daughter, writing in a Sunday supplement, describing the fact that her boyfriend was in the boy band supporting JLS. As he performed on stage, this is what she felt then and what she feels in hindsight.
She is now twenty three but speaks like a 'typical' teenager. How would these words go into the Greek of an equivalent register:

Call me sentimental but at the time, I was, like, cringe, but now I'm like, "That was so cool".
:eek::cool::drool:

I should have explained better what was difficult in this sentence. My final version with extensive help from a friend is:-

Πες/λέγε με συναισθηματικό αλλά τότε μου φάνηκε και πολύ ξενέ, αλλά τώρα μου φαίνεται και γαμώ.

Call me sentimental but at the time I was, like, cringe, but now I'm,like: "That that was so cool!"

I didn't know the natural Greek for 'call me sentimental' & the teenspeak opposites for 'cringe'/'cool'.:)

SBE

¥
Συναισθηματικός or as we used to call it, αισθηματίας. Fewer syllables.
I don't think teenagers would describe themselves as either.

She is twenty three. Maybe an all purpose word would be the Greek for 'soppy'--σαχλός, γλυκανάλατος. Emily Clarkson is just like her father:-'Outspoken, opiniated, OTT'.' I found the article's presentation of her as immature, crude & spoilt. But that doesn't mean much. She's probably quite vulnerable beneath it all. I've taught public school girls like her in the past--alpha females-- but quite often the quieter ones are the ones I found really interesting. I teach very part time now but two girls in the sixth form set, dominated by noisy peers, are deeply thoughtful, charming & really bright. Hiding their light under a bushel. After exams they attended Latin classes quite voluntarily. They were overwhelmed by Catullus's poem on his brother's death (he died of a broken heart, I feel, at the age of thirty, jilted in love & beset by grief):-
See http://rudy.negenborn.net/catullus/text2/e101.htm.
I also introduced them to the corpus of love poems in Latin by Sulpicia:-
See http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/text?doc=Sulpicia

I feel such great literature provides 'an emotional education' for them & me. Η ξανθούλα is now part of mine. And all the modern Greek literature I read. :)

nickel

Administrator
Staff member

Πες με μελό, αλλά, ενώ τότε με αηδίαζε, τώρα λέω «Ήταν και πολύ πρώτο».

The Greek is not necessarily very accurate in context, but normally that's how I would translate this sort of "sentimental". "Αηδιάζω" is also probably too strong.

Thanks, very much, Nickel. Μέλο suits the context perfectly. SBE is spot on when she says that 'sentimental' in both its Greek forms wouldn't be used by 'teenagers '.:)

I knew that since I learnt the term as meaning 'soap opera, from the Ancient Greek μέλος--song, strain. But apparently σαπουνόπερα is more correct.
Μου αρέσει πολύ το βίντεο κλιπ!:)