metafrasi banner

There was a man....

'There was a man in front of me in the local store with a huge beer belly,, 'man boobs', and a shaven head. A woman tapped me on the shoulder and said in a low voice:

I wouldn't like to cross swords with him--one of the burly brethren.

How would this mini-story, which has just happened, go into conversational Greek?:scared::down:

Earion

Staff member
Μην του πατάς τον κάλο. Έχει το ζωνάρι του λυμένο για καβγά.

Thanks, Earion. So l could write for the whole mini-tale: μπροστά μου στο τοπικό καταστήμα ήταν ένας άνδρας με κοιλίτσα, ...κοιλίτσα τεράστια, μαστάρια, ξυρισμένο κεφάλι. Μια γυναίκα με χτύπησε ελαφρά στον ώμο και είπε χαμηλόφωνα: μην του πατάς τον κάλο. Έχει το ζωνάρι του λυμένο για καβγά.:)

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
beer belly = μπιροκοιλιά

Μην του πατάς τον κάλο: ΦΡ πατάω κπ. στον κάλο, τον θίγω στο πιο ευαίσθητο σημείο του, με λόγια ή με πράξεις.

σέρνει / έχει κρεμάσει / έχει απλώσει / έχει λυμένο το ζωνάρι του για καβγά = he is trailing his coat, spoiling for a fight

I wouldn't go so far as to step on his toe or his coat, neither literally nor figuratively; I'd rather render that with something like: Δεν θα 'θελα να τα βάλω μαζί του —είναι κτήνος αυτός.

Thanks for this plethora of idioms and the translation. The lexicons weren't helpful for 'beer gut'. Magenta had μπάκα ζυθοπότη--rather cumbersome and eventually I found κοιλίτσα in glosbe. Is the rest of the translation passable? Or does it need corrections? I like the joke:)

Earion

Staff member
— Τον βλέπεις εκείνον εκεί πέρα τον ντουλάπα;
— Ποιον λες; Εκείνον τον τροφαντό με την μπιροκοιλιά;
— Ναι.
— Ε, τι;
— Σε είδα που τον κοίταζες λοξά. Εγώ λέω να μην του χώνεσαι στη μύτη, γιατί μπορεί να φωνάξει το μεγάλο αδερφάκι του και δε θα περάσεις καλά.

Neikos

I wouldn't go so far as to step on his toe or his coat, neither literally nor figuratively; I'd rather render that with something like: Δεν θα 'θελα να τα βάλω μαζί του —είναι κτήνος αυτός.

Θα συμφωνήσω με τον Δαεμάνο. Οι άλλες δύο εκφράσεις είναι λίγο παρωχημένες.
Για τα man boobs έχουμε κανέναν όρο; Σε μονολεκτικό, ακούω καμιά φορά για αντρόβυζα, αλλά δεν ξέρω αν έχει καθιερωθεί. Γενικά δεν ασχολούμαστε με το θέμα όπως οι Αμερικανοί, μου φαίνεται, σπάνια να το χρησιμοποιήσει κανείς σαν προσβολή.

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
... Για τα man boobs έχουμε κανέναν όρο; Σε μονολεκτικό, ακούω καμιά φορά για αντρόβυζα, αλλά δεν ξέρω αν έχει καθιερωθεί. Γενικά δεν ασχολούμαστε με το θέμα όπως οι Αμερικανοί, μου φαίνεται, σπάνια να το χρησιμοποιήσει κανείς σαν προσβολή.

Ολόκληρο νήμα, συνονόματε, που λίγο-πολύ συμφωνεί με αυτά που λες: man boobs.

There once was a man in a store
A beer-bellied, big boobed, burly boar
But a lady in line
Said my words I should mind
Or else I'd end up on the floor

Neikos

Ευχαριστώ Δαεμάνε, έπρεπε να το είχα βάλει στο ψαχτήρι πρώτα. Τώρα που έψαξα πρόχειρα και στο Γκουγκλ, ελάχιστα ευρήματα υπάρχουν. Προφορικά πάντως, ακούγεται πού και πού. Καλά και τα αντρομαστάρια που πρότεινες, αλλά δεν έτυχε να το ακούσω ποτέ. Γέλασα με τη μασταράντζα πάντως. :)

Thanks for all this stuff for reflection & 'Man's jaunty limerick! I didn't want for us to get bogged down on the subject of man boobs but a general translation of the above text, which I made a rough attempt at translating. I should have added that the 'wardrobe' was heavily tattooed. Is the translation I submitted anything like passable?

SBE

¥
Ι will disagree with Earion, because the woman who taps the narrator does not say that the burly guy is ready for or seeking a fight. I think her comment is more about his appearance: he looks like the sort of person that you wouldn't want to have a fight with.
Here is not a translation but how the story would probably go in Greek:

Μπροστά μου στην ουρά ήταν ένας κοιλαράς με ξυρισμένο κεφάλι. Μια γυναίκα με σκούντηξε και μου ειπε χαμηλόφωνα: Άμα μπλεχτείς σε καβγά μ'αυτόν την έβαψες. Είναι βαρέων βαρών.

Thanks, SBE, & Earion for your translations. They both sound natural Greek rather than somewhat laboured like my own version. A couple of points. Does Εγώ λέω να μην του χώνεσαι στη μύτη, γιατί μπορεί να φωνάξει το μεγάλο αδερφάκι του και δε θα περάσεις καλά mean 'I'm telling you not to meddle with him because he can call his big brother & and you won't come off well'? Second, how would 'heavily tattooed on his one arm' go into Greek? Με μεγάλο τατουάζ στο ένα μπράτσο;

SBE

¥
Εγώ λέω... = I suggest
That is the more natural English equivalent, imo.
I suggest you don't mess with him, because he might call his bigger brother
Or
You'd better not mess with him, or...

Heavily tatooed to me means lots of tatoos, even if it is one very large one. Heavily tatooed on one arm= με τατουάζ σε όλο το μπράτσο. Με το μπράτσο τίγκα στα τατουάζ.

Thanks, so much, SBE. 'Heavily tattooed (I think there are two ts in the middle--my mistake:)) means as you say. The word τίγκα is very well worth while memorising; I've come across it before just recently, as I have the word φίσκα. This word is fascinating as it comes from an Ancient Greek word meaning 'a large intestine stuffed with meat to make a big sausage'. Apparently in Doric φύσκα was a nickname meaning 'pot-belly'. Back to our man's beer gut! :)

SBE

¥
I was going to wright φίσκα but somehow τίγκα seems more of the moment. I certainly hear it more than I used to.