metafrasi banner

blood and guts

Used often of films and meaning extreme violence. Examples:-

-There was too much blood and guts in the movie for my liking.
-Greek myths, with all their blood and guts, are not for the faint of heart — and neither are parts of this exhibit.

And in a broader context:-

United States Marine Corps
10 November 1775: I was born in a bomb crater. My mother was an M16 and my father was the Devil. Each moment that I live is an additional threat upon your life. I eat concertina, piss napalm, and I can shoot a round through a flea’s ass at 300 meters. I am a rough looking, roving soldier of the sea. I am cocky, self-centered, overbearing, and do not know the meaning of fear, for I am fear itself. I am a green amphibious monster, made of bUnited States Marine Corps
10 November 1775: I was born in a bomb crater. My mother was an M16 and my father was the Devil. Each moment that I live is an additional threat upon your life. I eat concertina, piss napalm, and I can shoot a round through a flea’s ass at 300 meters. I am a rough looking, roving soldier of the sea. I am cocky, self-centered, overbearing, and do not know the meaning of fear, for I am fear itself. I am a green amphibious monster, made of blood and guts who arose from the sea, I travel the globe, festering on anti-Americans everywhere I go for, the love of Mom, Chevrolet, baseball, and apple pie. I’m a grunt. I’m the dirty, nasty, stinky, sweaty, filthy, beautiful little son of a bitch that’s kept wolf away from the door for over 235 years. I’m a United States marine, we look like soldiers, talk like sailors, and slap the shit out of both of them. We stole the eagle from the Air Force, the rope from the Army, and the anchor from the Navy. And on the 7th Day, when God rested, we overran His perimeter, stole the globe, and we’ve been running the show ever since. Warrior by day, lover by night, drunkard by choice, Marine by God.

Is there a good Greek equivalent for this English idiom?

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
I think you'll find some ideas there: "Old Blood and Guts". Xυμένα άντερα seems a good choice for a gory context, particularly for a film, when that expression fits the register.

Living on a thin line - The Kinks

Now another leader says
Break their hearts and break some heads.
Is there nothing we can say or do?
Blame the future on the past,
Always lost in blood and guts.
And when they're gone, it's me and you.