Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: το δουλάκι του δεύτερου [= ορόφου]

το δουλάκι του δεύτερου [= ορόφου]

I love what I can understand of this short story but am just making a query about a sentence in the first paragraph:

Μπιτ ξεμυαλισμένο είναι, π’ ανάθεμά το, αυτό το δουλάκι του δεύτερου!
    Does it mean "she is totally unbalanced, damn it, this slave to each second that passes" [does this refer to time?]

Hello, Theseus. It doesn't refer to time, "του δεύτερου" means "of the second floor".

Also δουλάκι is a maid, not necessarily a slave. People used to call like that young girls (sometimes as young as eight) who worked as servants.

And here's a sad story about a real "δουλάκι".

http://www.efsyn.gr/arthro/i-sklava-...toria-tis-lola

"This maid of the second floor is so flippant, damn her!"

(in the phrase "π' ανάθεμά το" the pronoun "το" is neutral because it refers to "δουλάκι")

Δούλα / δουλάκι: 1. (μειωτ., παρωχ.) υπηρέτρια. / YΠΟKΟΡ στη σημ. 1, δούλα νεαρής ηλικίας

Ξεμυαλίζω: 2. (μππ.) για κπ. που συμπεριφέρεται επιπόλαια και ανόητα, που έχει χάσει τα μυαλά του.
    Οι μεταφραστές είναι σαν νίντζα: αν τους αντιληφθείς, δεν είναι καλοί. -Ετγκάρ Κέρετ

My website: Translations Traducciones Μεταφράσεις

Also π’ ανάθεμά το is now understood and written in one word: πανάθεμά το.
    Πανάθεμά με/σε/τον/την/το/τους/τις/τα.

Όταν —νεαρός— ο Καζαντζάκης επισκέφτηκε το Άγιον Όρος, ρώτησε ένα γέ­ρον­τα: «Πάτερ, γιατί, στο τέλος, να μη σωθεί ... και ο διάβολος;»

Και ο γέροντας Μα­κάριος —κατά την περιγραφή του Καζαντζάκη— του α­πάν­τησε:

— Πρόσεξε νεαρέ, γιατί το «εγώ» θα σε φάει. Ο Εωσφόρος, που εσύ υπερα­σπίζεσαι και θέλεις να τον σώσεις, ξέρεις πότε γκρεμίστηκε στην Κόλαση; Όταν στρά­φηκε στον Θεό και Του είπε: «Εγώ»! Ναι, ναι, άκου και βάλ’ το καλά στο νου σου. Ένα μονάχα πράμα κο­λά­ζε­ται στην Κόλαση: το «εγώ». Το «εγώ», πανάθεμά το!

Και τότε εγώ (συνεχίζει ο Καζαντζάκης) τίναξα το κεφάλι πει­σμωμένος και του αντιμίλησα:

— Μη το κα­κο­λογάς, πά­τερ Μακάριε, το «εγώ». Με το «εγώ» αυτό ξεχώρισε ο άνθρωπος από το ζώο.

— Όχι, νεαρέ μου. Με το «εγώ» αυτό, χωρίστηκε ο άνθρωπος από τον Θεό, διόρ­θω­σε ο πατήρ Μα­κά­ριος.

Και ο Καζαντζάκης καταλήγει ομολογώντας: «Έφυγα λέγοντας με το μυαλό μου: “Έχεις καιρό να βρεις τον Θεό!” Εξάλλου μέσα μου δεν είχε ξεθωριάσει η λάμψη ... του Εωσφόρου!...».

(Αφιέρωμα στο Άγιον Όρος, περιοδικό Νέα Εστία, 1963).
    Άλλο πληροφορία, άλλο γνώση· άλλο βία, άλλο δύναμη.

Quote Originally Posted by Neikos View Post

http://www.efsyn.gr/arthro/i-sklava-...toria-tis-lola
    Here's that story in full from this month's issue of The Atlantic: My Family’s Slave: A story of Slavery in Modern America
    and the original article in May: The Enslaved Woman They Called Lola. Heartbreaking.

Also, the story of 14-year-old Σπυριδούλα Ράπτη which shocked Greece in the '50s: http://eglima.blogspot.gr/2007/02/i.html

Her name was borrowed by one of the best Greek rock groups ever, Σπυριδούλα, a founding member of which was our own Costas.

Πωλείται συνείδηση - Σπυριδούλα

Πωλείται κορμί από πρώτο χέρι
    χωρίς μυαλό, εργασία προσφέρει
    είναι ανακυκλώσιμο και οικολογικό
    δεν έχει αντιρρήσεις κι έχει μητρώο λευκό
    Θεωρητικά, θεωρία και πράξη είναι το ίδιο πράγμα. Στην πράξη, όμως, διαφέρουν.
    When this you see, remember me and bear me in your mind, let all the world say what they may, speak of me as you find.

Theseus, also note that today this word is not only dated but extremely derogatory.
    The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge".
    -Isaak Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by Neikos View Post
    We have our own share of horror stories involving underage servants in Greece.

Edit: writing before reading, as always Daeman got there first.

But apart from the horror stories mentioned above, I think most older people in Greece would know of some village girl that was sent to work for a family in the city.
    We have an old family friend from the US. She and her numerous sisters and brothers were sent to work as servants for families from a very young age. She was a maid from the age of nine and when she was 17 the family she worked for gave her a small dowry (instead of a salary, I suppose) and arranged for her to marry a Greek immigrant (προξενειό από φωτογραφία). It turned out her husband was not as expected and she ended up in hospital following domestic violence which included several depraved acts that my grandparents hinted at and never discussed. With the help of the local Greek community, which consisted of three families and a handful of single men, they arranged for her to get a divorce, return to Greece and attend a prestigious nanny school, which helped her find work as a high-end nanny for the next 10-15 years. She worked for the people you see on magazine covers and gossip columns and made some good money because apparently her skills were scarce. She remarried when she was in her 40s and now lives in an island.
    One of her sisters, who also worked as a maid for a couple from age 10, inherited the couple's flat and contents in Kolonaki. As she had no other income, she was selling off the family silver and also acting as agent for people in the neighbourhood who wanted to sell valuables discreetly and there were plenty of them at some point (gambling debts, mainly). I have no idea what she does now but she must be elderly.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast