Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: σηκώνει πολύ νερό

σηκώνει πολύ νερό

What does this phrase mean? It appears in the Λεξικό της Νέας Ελληνικής but the meaning is not given. It seems to be a reasonably common phrase.

Σηκώνει here means require/ take.
    Not knowing the context I would say that it means that a lot of effort/ discussion/ something else (a lot of dilution, perhaps) would be required.
    But it also means that something is of doubtful quality. For example: αυτά τα παραδείγματα σηκώνουν πολύ νερό (they do not fulfill their purpose).
    English equivalents: this is stretching it a bit.

Η υπόθεση σηκώνει τσιγάρο: from an old tv ad, where someone asks something difficult and someone light up to take a break and think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by SBE View Post
    But it also means that something is of doubtful quality. For example: αυτά τα παραδείγματα σηκώνουν πολύ νερό (they do not fulfill their purpose).
    English equivalents: this is stretching it a bit.
    Another English equivalent, closer to water but in the opposite direction, a negative:

hold water: often with negative (of a statement, theory, or line of reasoning) appear to be valid, sound, or reasonable.
    ‘this argument just does not hold water

More or less the same situation, from another point of view; if something requires a lot of water, it does not hold it well.
    It may be διάτρητο, full of holes, leaking.

As for "more diluted", it's watered down.
    Θεωρητικά, θεωρία και πράξη είναι το ίδιο πράγμα. Στην πράξη, όμως, διαφέρουν.
    When this you see, remember me and bear me in your mind, let all the world say what they may, speak of me as you find.

Like Sherlock Holmess a “three-pipe problem” in "The Red-Headed League" (1891), requiring an interval of quiet, creative thought. I first came across the phrase in the thread φέρνω / ρίχνω / πιάνω (κάποιον) στο φιλότιμο by Nickel, #4 by Sarant:

Πολύ ενδιαφέρον, αν και η τελευταία παράγραφος ή μάλλον οι τρεις τελευταίες αράδες σηκώνουν πολύ νερό —διότι υπάρχει το «αφιλότιμος» σαν ήπια βρισιά ιδίως προς άταχτα παιδιά. Π.χ.
    Μπιτ ξεμυαλισμένο είναι τ’ αφιλότιμο, γκρίνιασε πάλι τ’ απόγεμα ο κύριος Παντελής. Μέσα στον καφέ που μου έφερε βρήκα μια μύγα (το λέει για τη μικρή τους υπηρέτρια).

Thanks for your reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Theseus View Post
    «Πολύ ενδιαφέρον, αν και η τελευταία παράγραφος ή μάλλον οι τρεις τελευταίες αράδες σηκώνουν πολύ νερό...»
    "Very interesting, although the last paragraph or rather the last three lines don't hold much water..."
    When this you see, remember me and bear me in your mind, let all the world say what they may, speak of me as you find.

Thanks also, 'Man.

Πολύ ενδιαφέρον, αν και η τελευταία παράγραφος ή μάλλον οι τρεις τελευταίες αράδες σηκώνουν πολύ νερό......

I can't think of a suitable idiomatic expression in English at the moment but "σηκώνουν πολύ νερό" in this case could also be interpreted as implying that it's a huge topic requiring further discussion.

Right. ... leave room for many different interpretations...
    Μένω ΕυρώπηΣύγκρουση ιδεών, όχι βία και μισαλλοδοξία: δεν οδηγούν πουθενά. (Λ. Κύρκος)Θα περάσει κι αυτό
    ΕΝΑ ΝΗΜΑ ΤΗΝ ΗΜΕΡΑ ΤΗΝ ΑΝΙΑ ΚΑΝΕΙ ΠΕΡΑ. Staying hungry, staying foolish. Το διαδίκτυο βλάπτει όταν δεν σκέφτεσαι.

Quote Originally Posted by nickel View Post
    Right. ... leave room for many different interpretations...
    The last three lines (οι τρεις τελευταίες αράδες) allow an ocean of interpretive possibilities? ... an ocean of possibilities? (Οι ωκεανοί σηκώνουν πολύ νερό!)

Quote Originally Posted by cougr View Post
    ... in this case could also be interpreted as implying that it's a huge topic requiring further discussion.
    Right! This calls for immediate discussion! A completely new motion!

Quote Originally Posted by nickel View Post

From Monty Python's Life of Brian (1:11.00)

— Right! Now, item four: Attainment of world supremacy within the next five years. Francis, you’ve been doing some work on this?

— They’ve arrested Brian!
    — What?
    — They’ve dragged him off! They’re gonna crucify him!
    — Right! This calls for immediate discussion!
    — What?!
    — Immediate!
    — Right!
    — New motion?
    — Completely new motion!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast