"Από κορμί είμαι η best
Κι από προσόντα είμαι first
Μ' αυτό στους άντρες κάνω test
Για να διαλέξω.
Μπες όπως όλοι στη γραμμή
Ασε τα μα, τα μου, τα μη
Πέρνα λοιπόν τη δοκιμή
Και ίσως σε επιλέξω"

What to the words in bold mean? All I could make of them is: 'forget the buts, what's mine, the noes../well, passes the test/ and maybe I'll choose you'.

A strange set of verses these, presumably characteristic of down market nightclubs.

Is the meaning anything along those lines?:mad::confused::eek:

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
μα και μου (slang.gr)

Το «μα» στη γλώσσα μας αποτελεί αφενός ορκωτικό μόριο (μα το χριστό), αφεδύο είναι εναντιωματικός σύνδεσμος, ταυτόσημο με το «αλλά» (θέλω μα δεν μπορώ). Επίσης είναι δεύτερος τύπος της κτητικής αντωνυμίας εμά-μα, ονομαστικής και αιτιατικής πληθυντικού του ουδετέρου γένους. Το «μου» είναι ο δεύτερος τύπος της γενικής της προσωπικής αντωνυμίας «εγώ» (εμού-μου).

Σλανγκικώς, η έκφραση χρησιμοποιείται ως δηλωτική ανούσιων δικαιολογιών συνοδευομένων από ακατάσχετη και χωρίς ειρμό φλυαρία κι αυτό διότι δεν υπάρχει ίχνος αληθείας στις αιτιάσεις αυτές.

Άσε τα μα, τα μου: don't give me no buts or ifs > Άσε τα μα, τα μου, τα μη: no ifs or buts or don'ts (i.e. cut the crap)

That τα μη (the don'ts) is not used mainly for its actual meaning here; rather for the consonance with τα μα and τα μου.

No ifs or buts or don'ts
Pass the test then
And maybe I'll choose you

Thanks, 'Man. A thorough and helpful answer as ever. Thanks for the long explanation & the translation!:)

Purely accidental, SBE! Lina congratulated me on my translation of dikk's sentence into Classical Greek. She used the word 'chapeau' which I hadn't heard before. Following this word up I came across my (forgotten) question about σαπό, which I had confused with σαμπό. Marinos at #6 mentioned en passant the words στίχος σκυλάδικου. Unaware what σκυλάδικος meant I followed up the word & Bob's your uncle...... :)