metafrasi banner

text message vs. email

cosmasad

Hello friends,

Thank you so much for your responses to my questions about computer terms.

On a different note, I am wondering what the colloquialisms are for a text message vs. an email.

If you want to ask someone if they received your text message (on their cell phone, of course) what phrase would you use so they know you're not talking about an email message?

Thank you.

Palavra

Mod Almighty
Staff member
Πήρες (or είδες) το μήνυμά μου; vs Πήρες (or είδες) το μέιλ μου;

Admittedly, this can be confusing, because sometimes μήνυμα is also used for email, since the alternative (μήνυμα ηλεκτρονικής αλληλογραφίας) is too long for everyday speech and nobody says it. Note, though, that you may still get "Ποιο μήνυμα;", to which you would then need to add "στο κινητό".

cosmasad

That's exactly what I've been running in to. I thought that maybe one could say "τεξτ" to refer to text messages. Like "Στειλε μου ενα τεξτ" or "ελαβες το τεξτ μου"

Is that not the case?

cosmasad

Interesting! Yes, I thought that I had heard SMS used when I was in Athens, but I wanted to confirm. I know it's not really used that much in English and that people just say "text" but it would work in Greek.

Thank you.

Palavra

Mod Almighty
Staff member
That's exactly what I've been running in to. I thought that maybe one could say "τεξτ" to refer to text messages. Like "Στειλε μου ενα τεξτ" or "ελαβες το τεξτ μου"

Is that not the case?
I've never heard it, but then again I don't know what a 15-year old would say in such a case :) I mean, it could be slang among some groups, however it's rather hard to pronounce in a Greek sentence in a manner that would not create confusion, since the kst in the end could be easily lost to the listener, but still, it could exist. I just don't know that it does.

rogne

¥
Πάντως οι παλιότεροι εξακολουθούμε να λέμε «εσεμές» :-)

Και οι νεότεροι το λένε, όπως επίσης λένε όντως σκέτο "μήνυμα" και καταλαβαίνουν SMS (όπως το είπε η Palavra παραπάνω). Το email είναι "μέιλ".