σιτεμένη

What is the meaning of this dialogue in slang.gr under the keyword σιτεμένη (a word I do understand):-

— Μανία με τις σιτεμένες ρε μαλάκα, φέρε και καμιά μουνίτσα να χαρεί το μάτι μας!... τη μαμά σου θες να έχεις γκόμενα;
— Ίσα ρε Γιαλόμα, εγώ τις γαμώ, εσύ τι ζόρι τραβάς;
:confused::mad:

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
In somewhat less lurid English:

— You have this thing for cougars, man—why don’t you bring along some younger broads, give our eyes a rest? Do you have to have your ma for a lover?
— Cut the crap, Yalom’s groupie! It’s me who ~s them—what’s your problem?

Thanks, both, as ever. I knew σιτεμένο κρέας means 'matured/gamey meat' but its precise nuance in σιτεμένες was unknown in this connection. No wonder the slang.gr example escaped my ability to translate!:blush::eek:. BTW, is Yalom, Irvin Yalom the emeritus psychiatry professor?

SBE

¥
Σιτεμένος is used for meat, but figuratively used for people, too. I often describe people my age as σιτεμένους (the implication being that I am not one of them). :-)
And yes, Irvin Yalom's writings are very popular in Greece and I think the man himself has visited and promoted them in Greece. Having lived outside Greece for the past 20 years, I only heard of him from Greek friends, and I have read some of his short stories in Greek. As for his popularity in Greece, according to psychotherapist friends from Greece, this is a sign of the common attitudes towards mental health. People are too embarrassed to seek help and prefer instead to seek self-help, especially if it is not a self-help book but a memoir, a novel or a short story. This actually fits with a couple of people I know, but I suspect attitudes are changing.

Thanks, SBE. You live and learn, especially me! I had never heard of him or him or his 'groupies' until I followed up this thread. The information you have supplied is invaluable. :)