Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The feats of Daskalogiannis and his brave Cretans

Here are the first ten lines or so with the difficult words in bold, with the additional words
    NB Τα βάρη also:-

Ήτον ο μπέης τση Βλαχιάς κι ο μπέης 'που τη Μάνη
    κρυφοκουβέντες είχανε με το Δασκαλογιάννη
    απού 'τονε (what masculine object does this refer to?) ξεχωριστός σε πλούτη κι αξιοσύνη
    με την καρδιά του ήθελε την Κρήτη Ρωμιοσύνη (he wanted Crete to be part of Greece?)
    Κάθε Λαμπρή και Κυριακή έβανε το καπέλο ( here 'he raised his hat?/wore his hat as a mark of respect?)1
    και του Πρωτόπαπα 'λεγε «το Μόσκοβο θα φέρω(what relevance has Moscow? Does he refer to Russia?)
    να τα συνδράμει τα Σφακιά τσοι Τούρκους να ζυγώξουν (to assist Sfakia in approaching the Turks?)
    και για τη κόκκινη Μηλιά δρόμο να τωνε δώσουν (does this mean to send them reeling to K.M?)
    Μα κι όποιοι των εθέλουσι στην Κρήτη ν' απομείνουν
    σταυρό να προσκυνήσουσι και Χριστιανοί να γίνουν»

I'm afraid that's the best I can do after working a good part of the day on these lines. Any help so fat will be appreciated.

Ήτον = ήταν [ήτον or ήτονε, Cretan form of third singular ήταν]

απού 'τονε = που ήταν [απού ήτονε > απού 'τονε]

ήθελε την Κρήτη Ρωμιοσύνη = the closest modern approximation would be that he wanted Crete to be Greek - not "part of Greece", as there was no Greek state at the time

έβανε το καπέλο = he wore his hat [this refers to the well known un-Cretan way of dressing of Daskalogiannis]

το Μόσκοβο θα φέρω = I will bring in the Russians

να τα συνδράμει τα Σφακιά τσοι Τούρκους να ζυγώξουν = help Sfakia to chase away the Turks [as far as I know, this sense of ζυγώνω is Cretan, and it is very common too]

για την Κόκκινη Μηλιά δρόμο να τωνε δώσουν = push them off to where they came from [concerning Κόκκινη Μηλιά, see e.g. here]

[τα βάλη is incomprehensible to me, unless it stands for τα βάρη, the sufferings. Even in this case, though, I would rather expect to see τα πάθη]
    Aπ' ό,τι κάλλη έχει άνθρωπος, τα λόγια έχουν τη χάρη / να κάμουσι κάθε καρδιά παρηγοριά να πάρη
    κι οπού κατέχει να μιλεί με γνώση και με τρόπο / κάνει και κλαίσι και γελούν τα μάτια των ανθρώπω.

Thanks for all your help, Themis. I understand this section completely now. I'm glad you found τα βάλη difficult. That's why I persisted in asking the question. I knew something of Κόκκινη Μηλιά before. Ζυγώνω in the Cretan glossary said simply 'to approach' --the same as σιμώνω. Thanks for the meaning of that. Apparently, many lines of the poem were taken down from an eighty eight year old Cretan bard but they don't contain the line with τα βάλη at all. The bard was from Asklepiou & illiterate as well as a descendant of the original participants in the revolt by Daskalogiannis. He had also been involved in the Cretan resistance.

Ζυγώνω means 'approach' only in its intransitive use. As a transitive verb, it always means 'chase away' and, for example, it is very commonly used for animals. According to my personal experience (which is not to be generalized), there was a differentiation between these two meanings in the past tense: (ε)ζύγωσα and (ε)ζύγωξα respectively.
    Aπ' ό,τι κάλλη έχει άνθρωπος, τα λόγια έχουν τη χάρη / να κάμουσι κάθε καρδιά παρηγοριά να πάρη
    κι οπού κατέχει να μιλεί με γνώση και με τρόπο / κάνει και κλαίσι και γελούν τα μάτια των ανθρώπω.

Thanks so much for your help, Themis, & for giving me the different aorists of the verb ζυγώνω. I apologise for being incommunicado today: I've had to work on a long & tedious Latin assignment for an importunate client! I will see if there are any alternative readings for τα βάλη. I've already found βάλλη but that v.l. is hardly significant.

Τα βάρη (the plural ) can be used in Classical Greek for 'oppression/grief'-see LSJ in loc.:-
    βάροσ [ᾰ],ουσ, Ion. εοσ, τό, weight, Hdt.2.73, etc.
    a weight, burden, load, τέκνων A.Ch.1000, etc.; β. περισσὸν γῆσ S.Fr.945: pl., βάρη weights, Arist.Mech.850a30.
    oppressiveness, τὸ τῆσ ὀσμῆσ ἀφόρητον β. LXX 2 Ma.9.10; βάροσ φέρειν to give trouble, τινί POxy.1062.14 (ii A.D.).
    heaviness, torpor, β. ναρκῶδεσ Plu. 2.345b; σπληνὸσ βάρεα Hp.Acut.(Sp.)4; βάρη καὶ δυσαρεστήματα perh.feeling of oppression, Antyll. ap. Stob.4.37.15.
    metaph., heavy weight, σιγῆσ β. S.Ant.1256; βάροσ πημονῆς, συμφορᾶς, Id.El. 939, Tr.325; χρὴ τοῦ βάρουσ μεταδιδόναι τοῖσ φίλοισ X.Mem.2.7.1; ὥσπερ βάρουσ μεταλαμβάνειν Arist EN1171a31; τὰ β. ὅσα ψυχὴν καθέλκοι Ph.2.674: hence alone, grief, misery, A.Pers.946(lyr., pl.), S. OC409; κεφαλῆσ πόνοσ καὶ β. Arist.HA603b8; τὸ β. ἔχειν Id.EN 1126a23; ἐν συνοχαῖσ καὶ βάρεσι Vett.Val.292.6; of oppressive demands, β. τῶν ἐπιταγμάτων, τῶν φόρων, Plb.1.31.5, 1.67.1; τῆσ λειτουργίασ BGU159.5 (iii A. D.); οὐκέτι δυνάμεθα φέρειν τὰ β. SIG888.67(Thrace, iii A. D.); κουφίσαι τὰ β. PGiss.7.13 (ii A. D.).

By the way, βάλια means τα βάσανα in Crete. Is this the meaning of βάλη? It fits at least!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2