Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: λάι μουσάτε

Άλλο πληροφορία, άλλο γνώση· άλλο βία, άλλο δύναμη.

Quote Originally Posted by Theseus View Post
    Yes but ignorant people in this country think Latin is dead, despite its continuance in so many languages. -
    Well, it does survive in other living languages, but it kind of is dead, since there are no natural speakers of it.
    The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge".
    -Isaak Asimov

The Latin we study is a literary language from a certain period where there was a kind of golden age, rather like the Elizabethan era in England. But the actual language spoken by the people--so-called Vulgar Latin--evolved into the various languages we call the Romance languages, as you will know. There is also the continuous tradition of Church Latin & the fact that it is an official language of Vatican City. I grant that Classical Latin. was never spoken by anyone, even in Classical times & has never been spoken as the primary tongue of a linguistic community. So, yes, the forms of classical Latin are frozen in time but the vernacular language never really died; it just evolved into the modern Romance languages. But my study at school of Greek & Latin are responsible for my interest in, & great love of how Latin & Greeκ (particularly the latter) developed & what they became now. Thanks, Palavra. End of my rant!

Beware, I'll also say that Ancient Greek is dead and cause a second rant.
    The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge".
    -Isaak Asimov

Hahaha. I'll refrain from swallowing the bait & only say because of Ancient Greek that I have by a tortuous route arrived at Lexilogia. By the way, on a Classics trip to Greece a female biology teacher (who was there to in charge of the girls on that trip) said in the general briefing that it was a waste of time their learning modern Greek since so few spoke it. On that same trip what modern Greek I knew came in handy in so many situations--some tricky-- that she wondered why I was fêted so often by so many hospitable people both in villages & in towns. I explained to her that it was the result of learning a useless language. The point wasn't lost on the students.

There are no useless languages! Even if they are dead
    -Isaak Asimov

Πες τα, χρυσόστομη!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2