Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: παίζουμε τις κουμπάρες = a game of make-believe, (a game of) dress-up | kidding each other; playing (silly) games

'Playing doctors & nurses' is the phrase we use for παίζουν το γιατρό. 'Playing mummies & daddies/grown-ups' has a wider application. Of course, when used by 'adults' it has colloquially a sexual meaning but to children it may mean any pretend game that is a serious attempt to imitate what children observe their parents doing, including 'lying, evading, boozing, shouting in anger and falling apart' [a Guardian sub-headline].

There's "play acting" too - we might not need to specify what exactly it is that we're engaging in?

We won't tolerate any more tomfoolery/antics/games/posturing/play-acting/faking/acting fake/make-believe/ farcical behaviour/clowning around/kidding around... it's time to get real/it's time for a reality check/it's time to grow up and start taking things seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by pontios View Post
    There's "play acting" too - we might not need to specify what exactly it is that we're engaging in?

We won't tolerate any more tomfoolery/antics/games/posturing/play-acting/faking/acting fake/make-believe/ farcical behaviour/clowning around/kidding around... it's time to get real/it's time for a reality check/it's time to grow up and start taking things seriously.
    I could have thrown "childish or puerile" in there too ...... childish antics, childish games, puerile behaviour, juvenile/infantile behaviour etc...

Also...
    "Party games" are for kids ... We will not tolerate party games being played at the expense of .....?

There's another interpretation of the phrase I'm aware of and described here ( slang.gr).

"Playing mummies and daddies" for the Greek version of "κουμπάρες" is probably inappropriate because boys do not usually participate in the game. This is strictly little girls pretending to be their mummies and their female friends.
    Μένω ΕυρώπηΣύγκρουση ιδεών, όχι βία και μισαλλοδοξία: δεν οδηγούν πουθενά. (Λ. Κύρκος)Θα περάσει κι αυτό
    ΕΝΑ ΝΗΜΑ ΤΗΝ ΗΜΕΡΑ ΤΗΝ ΑΝΙΑ ΚΑΝΕΙ ΠΕΡΑ. Staying hungry, staying foolish. Το διαδίκτυο βλάπτει όταν δεν σκέφτεσαι.

Quote Originally Posted by cougr View Post
    There's another interpretation of the phrase I'm aware of and described here ( slang.gr).

I didn't know this about the Greek phrase specifically, but ...
    There would be several layers and varying degrees of deception and fooling around/clowning around/pretence/ hoodwinking in all this (play-acting/make-believe, etc..) .. so I'm not surprised to see it extending to shenanigans/sexual dalliances?

I mean there are party games and then there are sex party games - which is just "fooling/clowning around" of a different variety (or horseplay of a different colour).

... and I just saw nickel's post, above.

I too am aware of the slang meaning, cougr, but in this context what does μου την έχει δώσει mean in this context:-
    - Η Μαρία πήγε στη Ρώμη με το αφεντικό της για «δουλειές». Μου την έχει δώσει!
    - Μήπως είσαι παράξενος;
    - Στο ίδιο δωμάτιο μένουν ρε μαλάκα, τι λες εσύ, το βράδυ να παίζουν τις κουμπάρες;
    Does the phrase in bold mean 'she has got on my nerves?' or has it another meaning?

Quote Originally Posted by Theseus View Post
    Μου την έχει δώσει!
    That has really annoyed me / put me out / and synonyms.
    Μένω ΕυρώπηΣύγκρουση ιδεών, όχι βία και μισαλλοδοξία: δεν οδηγούν πουθενά. (Λ. Κύρκος)Θα περάσει κι αυτό
    ΕΝΑ ΝΗΜΑ ΤΗΝ ΗΜΕΡΑ ΤΗΝ ΑΝΙΑ ΚΑΝΕΙ ΠΕΡΑ. Staying hungry, staying foolish. Το διαδίκτυο βλάπτει όταν δεν σκέφτεσαι.

Thanks, Nickel.

Nickel, two things: Firstly, thanks for answering Theseus's query on my behalf otherwise he would've been waiting until now.
    Secondly, just a suggestion, I feel that the expression "playing (silly, stupid) games" belongs in the title.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast