πάω απάνω

The usage in this line of this poem escapes my ability to translate it in context. It seems to have slipped under the radar. Here is the verse:-

Μαρή που πας απάνω
τη ρόκα νέθοντας
καρτέραμε κι εμένα
να πάμε παίζοντας.

Can it mean a skittish 'upstairs'?

Thanks, SBE. My problem was the sense of απάνω. If the woman was going up, either the stairs or the hill, the second line of the verse must be translated loosely. It is hardly easy for one going upstairs or going uphill to ply her distaff at the same time. But I'm probably reading too much into the stanza.

Earion

Staff member
I think the girl is coming up the steps to enter the house, distaff in hand (not a difficult task; women used to do many things with one hand, including holding a child in arm, and wielding the distaff at the same time). The words most probably belong to a suitor.

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
Baby what you want me to do - Jimmy Reed

Going up, going down
Got me up, down, down, up, anyway you want to let it roll
Yeah, yeah, yeah
You got me doin' what you want me
So, baby, why you want to let go

All the help I needed from some of my usual helpers with the brilliant 'song-lines' thrown in from the music maestro....:D:up:

I am not sure the lady is going up the stairs to her house: it would be very daring to do so accompanied by a male suitor and it is a brief journey hence να πάμε παίζοντας does not seem right.

I understand it as going up the road, perhaps going to another neighbourhood that lies higher.

Earion

Staff member
Or, she could leave her house and village and “go up” (ascent) the mountain to a pasture, to tend the sheep. Surely a welcome opportunity for flirting, once away from the eyes of the community.