metafrasi banner

Healthwise/talentwise/jobwise/moneywise & other aberrations

An article by Tim Bowen tells us all about the commonly-used suffix -wise because, grammar-wise, he's an expert.
The suffix –wise is a versatile one. Apart from some fixed expressions where it means 'in the direction of', e.g. lengthwise, clockwise, anti-clockwise and useful function words such as likewise and otherwise, the suffix -wise can be added to a large number of words in the sense of ‘referring to’ or ‘speaking of’.
If you ask someone how they are, for example, they might reply ‘Well, job-wise things are going quite well but money-wise I’m having a few problems’. With two examples, however, the speaker has probably reached his or her limit. If they went on to say 'Family-wise things are pretty good and health-wise, touch wood, I’m OK’, this would already start to sound affected, but it’s quite common for news anchormen and women to say ‘Let’s see what’s happening weather-wise today’ as they switch to the weather report. Some other examples in the news recently: ‘Sound-wise his biggest asset is his voice’, ‘It was a poor show, talent-wise’, 'The big hits, price-wise, are nearly new cars about 18 months old' and 'He has a natural aptitude personality-wise to do well’.

One of the most widely used words ending in –wise is streetwise (meaning 'able to deal with difficult or dangerous situations you often find in cities). However, in this word, wise is not a suffix but the adjective wise (able to make good choices and decisions because you have a lot of experience), as evidenced by its American equivalent street-smart.

Apart from 'clockwise/anti-clockwise/otherwise/streetwise' & perhaps 'weather-wise', the rest represent a lazy usage which has crept insidiously into common speech. (Another such irritating usage now prevalent is 'on a regular basis & on a daily basis' for 'regularly' & 'everyday/daily').

Is there such a lazy colloquialism in Greek which might translate such an aberration as 'family-wise things are pretty good and health-wise, touch wood, I’m OK. :curse:

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
από την άποψη του (noun in genitive)... όσον αφορά το... But these are somewhat stiff and not actually colloquial.

We'd normally say, e.g.:

‘Well, job-wise things are going quite well but money-wise I’m having a few problems’. > Λοιπόν, η δουλειά πάει αρκετά καλά, αλλά στα λεφτά έχω μερικές αναποδιές.

Family-wise things are pretty good and health-wise, touch wood, I’m OK’. > Στην οικογένεια όλα καλά κι όσο για την υγεία μου, χτύπα ξύλο, καλά είμαι.

‘Let’s see what’s happening weather-wise today’ > Ας δούμε πώς θα είναι ο καιρός σήμερα.

‘Sound-wise his biggest asset is his voice’ > Ηχητικά / Στον ήχο, το μεγαλύτερο προσόν του είναι η φωνή του.

‘It was a poor show, talent-wise’ > Το σόου ήταν φτωχό σε ταλέντα.

'The big hits, price-wise, are nearly new cars about 18 months old' > Το μεγάλο σουξέ, στις τιμές, έχουν τα σχεδόν καινούργια αυτοκίνητα, περίπου 18 μηνών.

Bonus track:
'on a regular basis & on a daily basis' for 'regularly' & 'everyday/daily' > σε τακτική βάση, σε καθημερινή βάση / τακτικά, καθημερινά.

Προσθήκη στον Δαεμάνο :clap:. Πολύ κοινά λέμε "από + ουσιαστικό", π.χ. "από δουλειά καλά τα πάω, αλλά...", "από υγεία όλα καλά, μα από λεφτά άσ' τα να παν", "από κέφια άλλο τίποτα", "από μυαλό, κουκούτσι" (=not a grain of it) κτλ.

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
... Πολύ κοινά λέμε "από + ουσιαστικό", π.χ. "από δουλειά καλά τα πάω, αλλά...", "από υγεία όλα καλά, μα από λεφτά άσ' τα να παν", "από κέφια άλλο τίποτα", "από μυαλό, κουκούτσι" (=not a grain of it) κτλ.

Καλά να πάθω, Θέμη! :up: Από δουλειά καλά τα πάω, αλλά κι από φυρομυαλιά τώρα τελευταία, ένα μυαλό χειμώνα καλοκαίρι, πρωί βράδυ, άσε που μ' έχει πιάσει και η άνοιξη, ήτανε και βαρύς ο στίβος, χώρια τ' αγριογούρουνα. :-) Κουκούτσια έχω μερικά, αλλά μερικές φορές σκόρπια και κραπανάνε. In a nutshell, mine, they're roaming and rattling about.

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks, Themis. What is the difference between άλλο τίποτα & τίποτα άλλο?

Almost the same as between nothing but and nothing else.

(έκφρ.) από (με ουσ.) άλλο τίποτα, για να δηλωθεί η ύπαρξη αυτού που εκφράζει το ουσιαστικό σε μεγάλο βαθμό: Aπό λεφτά / σπίτια / όρεξη / δουλειά / καβγαδάκια άλλο τίποτα!, έχουμε πάρα πολλά. (ναι) άλλο τίποτα;, για να σταματήσουμε τις υπερβολικές απαιτήσεις του συνομιλητή μας.
http://www.greek-language.gr/greekLang/modern_greek/tools/lexica/search.html?lq=τίποτε&dq=

The last one may be rendered as: (Yes,) anything else?
Present company excluded, of course. :-)

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
... In a nutshell, mine, they're roaming and rattling about.

Τα κουκούτσια, the seeds scattered (like brains σκόρπια) and rattling about (κραπανάω/κραπανώ: onomatopeic from κραπ) in the scatterbrain nut's head, yours truly.

I'm posting this with some reluctance, but I don't think I'd be straying too far by mentioning "οικογενειακά"/"οικονομικά"/"επαγγελματικά"/"ερωτικά" (meaning "θέματα" or "πράγματα"), e.g. "πώς πάνε τα οικονομικά;" They are not applicable to all cases, of course, but these particular words refer to common topics of conversation, and perhaps they approximate your initial post's idea of a lazy colloquialism. You'll also hear them used a lot by astrologers. :)

I've been going over old stuff, revising idioms and I came across something that I couldn't understand in 'Man's Greek, entry #7, δηλ. ήτανε και βαρύς ο στίβος, χώρια τ' αγριογούρουνα..
Does it mean 'the going was tough, apart from the wild boar'?. I'm sorry to drag up a thread of some time ago but I'm not sure of the meaning here of στίβος and χώρια. :(

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
I've been going over old stuff, revising idioms and I came across something that I couldn't understand in 'Man's Greek, entry #7, δηλ. ήτανε και βαρύς ο στίβος, χώρια τ' αγριογούρουνα..
Does it mean 'the going was tough, apart from the wild boar'?. I'm sorry to drag up a thread of some time ago but I'm not sure of the meaning here of στίβος and χώρια. :(

2.000 words x 2:

Οι χασομίζεροι:

[...]

Sore losers:

χώρια: not to mention / let alone | in addition to

2. εκτός από…, χωρίς να υπολογιστεί, αφού αφαιρεθεί κάποιος ή κτ.: Είναι δέκα άτομα, χώρια τα παιδιά. Ήταν μεγάλη η ταλαιπωρία της αρρώστιας, χώρια τα έξοδα για τους γιατρούς. Δεν πήγα στο θέατρο γιατί δεν είχα χρόνο, χώρια που δεν είχα και λεφτά. (έκφρ.) χώρια τα καλοκαίρια, ειρωνικά για κπ. που κρύβει την ηλικία του: Είναι είκοσι / τριάντα κτλ. χρονών, χώρια τα καλοκαίρια. || επιπλέον: Tο ψυγείο κοστίζει πενήντα χιλιάδες και τα μεταφορικά χώρια.

Πενήντα χιλιάδες δραχμές το ψυγείο; Το πάλαι ποτέ. Μετά ήρθε το ευρώ, χώρια η κρίση.

A comprehensive and eloquent answer, 'Man. As a sufferer from recurrent depression, I felt a profound resonance with this part of the thread... Strangely enough, όταν έχω τις μαύρες μου, ακούω εκείνο το υπέροχο τραγούδι του Μίκη Θεοδωράκη «Η απαγωγή», φυσικά στην ερμηνεία της Μαίρης Λίντας, μα νομίζω πρόσφατα να έχω απολαύσει περισσότερο, μήπως ακραία άποψη, την ερμηνεία της Μαρίας Ζώης.:)

Slight typo in the above: there is no να to be taken with νομίζω, it's simply νομίζω έχω απολαύσει....

SBE

¥
Theseus, women's surnames in Greek do not change in the genitive because they are already in the genitive, unless you are very very colloquial. Της Μαίρης Λίντα, της Μαρίας Ζώη.

Earion

Staff member
νομίζω ότι έχω απολαύσει,
or νομίζω πως έχω απολαύσει.