Μπράβο σου, Νουνού

Earion

Staff member
In the olden days, when TV commercials used to provide catch-phrases for the whole season, or rather for years, one could watch series of ad campaigns for canned milk manufacturers like, for example, this one:

The line in the song was the composer's reaction to it.

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
«Νου νου νου, νου νου νου
Βρε τι κάνει το Νουνού
Μπράβο σου, Νουνού, νου νου νου
Μπράβο σου, Νουνού»

The point is "Βρε τι κάνει το Νουνού" where Loukianos jokingly admires what the then newfangled canned milk did for the new generation of kids raised on it, particularly the girls since the whole song hints at a girl and how lovely she looks in jeans.

... The line in the song was the composer's reaction to it.

Another reaction of that day and age:

mixing Νουνού milk with Βλάχας for which the slogan "Μεγαλώνει τα παιδιά" was used:

Thanks, both, for your help. I suppose that in the context of the label on the evaporated milk tin βλάχα means 'dairy maid/country girl' & not Wallachian? :)

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
I suppose that in the context of the label on the evaporated milk tin βλάχα means 'dairy maid/country girl' & not Wallachian?

Very observant! One of the meanings of βλάχος used to be shepherd, and βλάχα was country girl and, here, dairy maid. You probably know that, apart from the meaning of Wallachian (when they are spelt with capital initials, Βλάχος, Βλάχα), they are also used to mean a bumpkin (the masculine more than the feminine nowadays).

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
I suppose that in the context of the label on the evaporated milk tin βλάχα means 'dairy maid/country girl' & not Wallachian? :)

Both, since the typical dairy maid / country girl was the Βλάχα because the Vlachi were (and still are, but rapidly waning) typically stock farmers.

SBE

¥
Here is some photographic proof of the Milkmaid (brand name) which appears on the old tins of the milk:
250-091.jpg

SBE

¥
And νουνού is a wet nurse, and I was shocked to discover that the baby of the breastfeeding woman on the label of Nounou has been replaced by a bunch of tulips.
noynoy.jpg

Needless to say that I have no idea what the difference is between these two brands. Both Nounou and Vlachas are Nestle products, and both came in evaporated, condensed, light, full fat etc. We never bought any of those at home, we bought Πρώτον which is the local dairy company in Patras, delivering milk daily in bottles from the γαλατάδικό/ γαλακτοπωλείο, who also sold yoghurt. You could go to the γαλατάδικό just as you would a cafe and eat λουκουμάδες, ρυζόγαλο, κρέμα, γιαούρτη πρόβεια and other dairy confections. I don't know when they fell out of fashion, but I haven't seen one in ages.

And something I just remembered: another product for children was άνθος ορύζης Γιώτη (rice flour), which having only listened to the advertisements I used to genuinely think it was άνθος ορίζεις, Γιώτη. :scared:

Earion

Staff member
To add a small detail to the picture: the Vlach girls are famed (even nowadays) for beauty.

Εγώ είμαι η βλάχα η όμορφη, η βλάχα η παινεμένη,
που ’χω τα χίλια πρόβατα, τα πεντακόσια γίδια.

I am the Vlach girl, the beautiful one, the famed one;
I tend a thousand sheep, yeah, five hundred goats.

An excellent idea on the part of the advertiser for the Nestle product was to attach the image of a flowering Swiss girl (!) to the name Βλάχα, which carries the notion of young female beauty for Greeks. Nobody asked why; it was an instant success.

pontios

Casual comment and query -

για το "παινεμένη", εδώ ... δεν θα ταίριαζε καλύτερα το "exalted one", "celebrated one" (as in greatly admired - idolised), "lauded one" (even "lionised one");
(I suppose if you're famous, you're all these things - in a way)

drsiebenmal

HandyMod
Staff member
Needless to say that I have no idea what the difference is between these two brands. Both Nounou and Vlachas are Nestle products, and both came in evaporated, condensed, light, full fat etc.

In Greece, the brand Γάλα Βλάχας belongs since 2005 to ΔΕΛΤΑ, not Nestle. There are Greek cans with Nestle Milkmaid, but they come from Cyprus.

Attachments

• 4003490095101.jpg
    4003490095101.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 214