Ρίξε την καρδιά σου

In the song:-
Ρίξε την καρδιά σου στο γυαλί
τους όρκους ρίξε στο ποτάμι
τα χρόνια πήγανε χαράμι
μα φτάνει, τράβα στο καλό
What exactly does στο γιαλί mean here? I can make no sense of the last line? What arrives? What does the idiom τράβα στο καλό mean?:confused::curse:

drsiebenmal

HandyMod
Staff member
Φτάνει = Enough!
Τράβα στο καλό = Farewell.

Τραβώ / -άω has many meanings showing a movement. Τράβα πιο πέρα = Go further, τράβα στη μάνα σου = go to your mother, τράβα στο καλό etc.

In the popular music γυαλί is usually the glass. A famous song begins:

Ρίξε/Ρίχτε στο γυαλί φαρμάκι, μονορούφι να το πιω:

Thanks, Dr. So here 'put your heart in the glass' refers to exactly what? Does it mean 'say goodbye to all celebrations'? Or does γιαλί mean 'seashore'/'waterfront' as in the proverb Κάνε το καλό και ρίξ’ το στο γιαλό, δηλαδή τις καλές πράξεις πρέπει να τις κάνει κανείς χωρίς να τις διαλαλεί και χωρίς να περιμένει ανταπόδοση [from Sarant's Words have their History]?
So the sense would be 'let your heart float away on the tide...':) :(

drsiebenmal

HandyMod
Staff member
I would say (but I'm open to other interpretations) that the meaning of «ρίξε την καρδιά σου στο γυαλί» here is something like "let the drink take your heart away" - or maybe even your "goodbye to all celebrations". No seashore, no tide. Γιαλός comes from αιγιαλός and γυαλί from ύαλος -- totally different words and meanings.

In a summary, the verse says to still the heartache with a drink, forget about all vows, accept that all the years have led to nothing -- but now it's enough and you must take your own way.

Thanks, good Dr. I just wondered that, as γιαλί has an alternative form γιαλή (cp. the Turkish yalı), so this Greek word may mean 'beach'/'seashore', since it is balanced by στο ποτάμι. Clearly I was wrong! Ah, well....:)

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, the original verse by Tsitsanis says γιαλό, not γυαλί:

Νοσταλγία (Βασίλης Τσιτσάνης) - Δήμητρα Γαλάνη

Ρίξε την καρδιά σου στο γιαλό
τα χρόνια πήγανε χαράμι

Ρίξε ένα δάκρυ στο γιαλό
όλα είναι όνειρο και ψέμα
πληρώνουμε με της καρδιάς το αίμα
χαλάλι, τράβα στο καλό

Μα φτάνει, τράβα στο καλό

Btw, Theseus, γυαλί with an ypsilon inherited from ύαλος, but γιαλός with an iota inherited from αιγιαλός, as the doctor writes above. Down by the bay.

As for «τράβα στο καλό» (άι / τράβα / σύρε / πήγαινε στο καλό, απειλητικά, φύγε από εδώ. άι στο καλό, ήπια έκφραση αντί, άι στο διάολο), I think Tsitsanis meant it as "Go your own way / Godspeed" in that song, as the doctor writes in #4.

Μες στο γυαλί τον καφενέ, που γίναμε χαρμάνι
την Κούλα πρωτογνώρισα και μου 'στειλε φιρμάνι

Αν θέλω στην καρδούλα της εγώ να είμαι μόνος
πρέπει να γίνω Ροκαμβόλ, νταής και δολοφόνος

I came across the γιαλή form, while researching what the word meant in this context. It was from the Greek Wikipedia article at
https://el.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Γιαλί.
I quote:- Γιαλί (τουρκικά yalı, από τη μεσαιωνική ελληνική γιαλή) ονόμαζαν οι Οθωμανοί τον αιγιαλό και κατ' επέκταση τα παραλιακά κτίσματα.
That's what puzzled me. It's clear now thanks to you both.:)

SBE

¥
Ρίξε την καρδιά σου στο γυαλί
τα χρόνια πήγανε χαράμι

Pour your heart in the glass (meaning drink here)
throw the vows in the river
the years went to waste
but enough, farewell.

I think it is pretty self-explanatory, it means drown your sorrow in drink, forget your vows and the time you devoted to the other person and go away.

SBE

¥
However if the original says ρίξε την καρδιά σου στο γιαλό then it is similar to the proverb, κάνε το καλό και ρίξτο στο γιαλό, so it means don't fret about it.
I have never heard the song, but the title reminded me of a more surreal verse:

Ρίχνω την καρδιά μου στο πηγάδι
να γενεί νερό να ξεδιψάσεις
Σπέρνω την καρδιά μου στο λιβάδι
να γενεί ψωμάκι να χορτάσεις

Στη φωτιά τη ρίχνω την καρδιά μου
τα χεράκια σου έλα να ζεστάνεις

Στον αγέρα ρίχνω την καρδιά μου
να γενεί δροσούλα ν’ ανασάνεις