Γοπέισιον/ κόντες ντε λα Σίμπελα, «Κολωνάκι, διαγωγή μηδέν», 1967

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
Γόπα is the cigarette butt (αποτσίγαρο). "Γοπέισιον" is the fancy, English sounding name that Count (κόντες) de la Sibela, a fallen aristocrat, one of the characters in the 1967 comedy "Κολωνάκι, διαγωγή μηδέν," gives to his pipe tobacco blend made of second hand tobacco from those stubs, by adding the English suffix -ation to γόπα.

Γοπέισιον, αν έχετε ακουστά

κόντες ντε λα Σίμπελα, «Κολωνάκι, διαγωγή μηδέν», 1967

A special blend, Stubation
from a renowned plantation
Virginia was its land
but now it's second hand

Can someone give me the transcript of the above snippet from Κολωνάκι διαγωγή μηδέν. I'd be grateful.:)

Earion

Staff member
— Ω, τι υπέροχος καπνός!
— Σας αρέσει;
— Πάρα πολύ.
— Ναι... Είναι ειδική παραγγελία. Βιρτζίνια. Σπεσιάλ χαρμάνι. Γοπέισιον, αν έχετε ακουστά.
— Γοπέισιον; Νο.

Thanks, Earion, now & for all your translations for me. In my thread on Ο χορός της νύφης I have asked in the entries #20 & #21 two questions that I have asked for comments on δηλ. τη σούπα:-
I think, Earion, that the soup referred to is as you have said. In the chalice of our Orthodox Church the bread, the wine & warm water are mingled in a commixture. This could be described very loosely as 'the soup'. There is also the desire to find an easy word rhyming with 'the cup'. In English I can imagine a couplet where 'sup' easily rhymes with 'cup'. In fact, the word 'soup' was originally Middle English: from Old French soupe ‘sop, broth (poured on slices of bread)’, from late Latin suppa, of Germanic origin. At a stretch, σούπα could be used as a description of the contents of the Holy Cup. Just a thought.
&
Σαν τη μαρμαροκολόνα μπαίνεις μες στην εκκλησιά
και μαραίνεις και τρελαίνεις γέρους, νέους και παιδιά (x2)

I'd value your comments! :)

I seem to hear for the word in bold και μαγεύεις.