Two proverbs & the same obscure word

These two proverbs contain the same obscure word. What does it mean?:-
Γίνηκαν τά σκατά, νά μπαταλιάρουν οί κώλοι & Γίνηκαν οι κώλοι, νά μπαταλιάρουν’ τά μουνιά.:)

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
Never heard of these proverbs (or "proverbs") or the verb μπαταλιάρω until today, but from the context I gather it comes from μπατάλης:

μπατάλης ο [batálθs] θηλ. μπατάλα [batála]: (προφ.) για άνθρωπο μεγαλόσωμο και άχαρο ή δυσκίνητο. || (ως επίθ.).
[τουρκ. battal -ης· μπατάλ(ης) -α]

for which the common verb is μπαταλεύω: γίνομαι μπατάλης, γίνομαι χοντρός, πλαδαρός, άχαρος και δυσκίνητος.

I guess the meaning of the two sayings becomes clearer now, although they are still dirty.

SBE

¥
Theseus, I am curious as to what you are reading that contains such high frequency of a certain type of vocabulary.

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
Theseus, I am curious as to what you are reading that contains such high frequency of a certain type of vocabulary.

https://greekinter.net/γίνηκαν-οι-κώλοι-νά-μπαταλιάρουν-τά-μ/αιδοιο

He's digging deep and reached the dregs, scraping the bottom.

Palavra

Mod Almighty
Staff member
I was going to ask the same thing :) And no, I have no idea what this phrase means.

Sorry again, SBE. I was trying to find the meaning of μπουκονάτο (σικ) & I was taken all over the place because I couldn't find the word at all. Similarly with μπαταλιάρω. They all seemed to be used in doubtful contexts, many of them slang or vulgar. This led me on to other references & so on. I have no intention of looking at the site 'Man mentioned. I have an obsessive mind. I remember trying to find for an eminent Classics professor the Latin for ice-skates & for a babies feeding bottle. It took me more than a week to find one & over a month to find the other, δηλ. ice-skates, which were first mentioned by a medieval author, William Fitzstephen, when the Thames froze over. I am laid up again with a fourth severe chest infection & I spent the day trying to find the two words mentioned above. It may seem scraping the dregs for which I apologise. Eventually I found μπουκουνάτο (spelt correctly). In the other crude one I entered in Greek-English Language enquiries I am more concerned with they hung the Pasha than the first four-letter rhyming bit.
Perhaps it would be better if a moderator removed it.:confused::(

A further comment. Palavra has suggested that I put any crass comments under one entry. The trouble is that being frustrated & ill again, I tended to enter things piecemeal & at random as I read them or came across them. Excellent advice from a treasured colleague!