Με χαρές/με πλάτες

I am noticing more & more that Greek uses plural rather than the English singular. Examples:-
--Με χαρές και πανηγύρια ετοιμάζουν το νέο αντιλαϊκό πακέτο.
--Αύγουστος με χαρές και πανηγύρια!
--υποδέχτηκαν τους επισκέπτες με χαρές.
And for με πλάτες, ο χορός της νύφης:-
Ετούτη η νύφη σήμερα έχει ασημένιες πλάτες.
Can colleagues explain this usage?

SBE

¥
Χαρά= joy
Χαρές= Celebration

From here:

Οι χαρές (της ζωής / της εξοχής) = οι απολαύσεις.
Χαρές = ο γάμος, κυρίως σε ευχή προς ανύπαντρο, να παντρευτεί γρήγορα: Στις χαρές σου!
Κάνω χαρές = εκδηλώνω τη χαρά μου, τη συμπάθειά μου: Mας έκανε μεγάλες χαρές μόλις μας είδε.

Thanks, SBE. That explains the plural of χαρές. I find the πλάτες more puzzling, unless the use in the song is the poetic plural, common in Latin & indeed in Ancient Greek.
Here is a similar use of the phrase in Ο Στολισμός της Νύφης
Έχεις μαλλιά τετράξανθα στις πλάτες σου ριμμένα.

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
Πλάτες are is frequently used in plural, as στήθια is (and not only for a woman where they are more pronounced). I guess we see them symmetrically, mainly left and right but also front and back corresponding to στήθια. And the shoulders (ώμοι) and sides (πλευρά) are not far, let alone the buttocks (common in plural, too, when taking talking sides). Come to think of it, perhaps the plural of νώτα may have something to do with that. Or not. Just musing.

(πληθ.): Έχει φαρδιές / στενές / δυνατές πλάτες. (έκφρ.) σηκώνω* τις πλάτες μου. [...] ΦΡ κάνω πλάτες σε κπ., υποβοηθώ, καλύπτω κπ. που κάνει μια (συνήθ. επιλήψιμη, παράνομη) πράξη. έχω γερές πλάτες, διαθέτω ισχυρούς προστάτες, ισχυρά μέσα. [...] || (μτφ.): Bαριές ευθύνες / υποχρεώσεις έπεσαν στις πλάτες του.
http://www.greek-language.gr/greekLang/modern_greek/tools/lexica/search.html?lq=πλάτη&sin=all