metafrasi banner

I have to say

One of the most common fillers in U.K. English. As SBE said in my last query, using the filler correctly in its original sense (see below) :-'First, I have to say that I do not understand meaning 3 at all and I don't understand the example either.' It used to be 'I must say' but that sounds now, to me at least, somewhat more deliberate. The phrase used to be a synonym for 'I admit/confess' & was used to show that you are making an honest statement even though it may be embarrassing(?) for you.-
I have to say I don’t know the first thing about computers.
But now, more often than not, it means nothing when it occurs as a regular refrain in speech. Are there colloquial Greek equivalents other than, say, πρέπει να πω? :up:

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
... Are there colloquial Greek equivalents other than, say, πρέπει να πω? :up:

Well, I say! :-) In order of register; higher first, more colloquial and current as we move downwards:

Οφείλω να παραδεχθώ ότι συμφωνώ με τους προλαλήσαντες.

Το χαρβάτειο μου θύμισε το οφείλω να ομολογήσω/ ομολογώ ότι...

Ομολογουμένως... χρησιμοποιούνται κάμποσο αυτά τα περιττά κι από Έλληνες που έχουν πλέον χρόνια ανάμεσα σε αγγλόφωνους.

Εδώ που τα λέμε, δεν έχω καμία αντίρρηση για τα δαεμάνια.

Να τα λέμε αυτά...

Another phrase recently common in journo-speak: Να πω εδώ ότι... / Να πούμε λοιπόν ότι...

To be fair and square, you know? :whistle:

Thanks, 'Man, for the comprehensive list. I can always rely on you not only for the list but also for the register. I've been bad for the last two days with my third serious chest infection, so apologies for my delay in replying.