Thread: I have to say

I have to say

One of the most common fillers in U.K. English. As SBE said in my last query, using the filler correctly in its original sense (see below) :-'First, I have to say that I do not understand meaning 3 at all and I don't understand the example either.' It used to be 'I must say' but that sounds now, to me at least, somewhat more deliberate. The phrase used to be a synonym for 'I admit/confess' & was used to show that you are making an honest statement even though it may be embarrassing(?) for you.-
    I have to say I don’t know the first thing about computers.
    But now, more often than not, it means nothing when it occurs as a regular refrain in speech. Are there colloquial Greek equivalents other than, say, πρέπει να πω?

Quote Originally Posted by Theseus View Post
    ... Are there colloquial Greek equivalents other than, say, πρέπει να πω?
    Well, I say! In order of register; higher first, more colloquial and current as we move downwards:

Quote Originally Posted by dharvatis View Post
    Οφείλω να παραδεχθώ ότι συμφωνώ με τους προλαλήσαντες.
    Quote Originally Posted by Themis View Post
    Το χαρβάτειο μου θύμισε το οφείλω να ομολογήσω/ ομολογώ ότι...
    Quote Originally Posted by SBE View Post
    Ομολογουμένως... χρησιμοποιούνται κάμποσο αυτά τα περιττά κι από Έλληνες που έχουν πλέον χρόνια ανάμεσα σε αγγλόφωνους.
    Quote Originally Posted by Themis View Post
    Εδώ που τα λέμε, δεν έχω καμία αντίρρηση για τα δαεμάνια.
    Quote Originally Posted by m_a_a_ View Post
    Να τα λέμε αυτά...
    Another phrase recently common in journo-speak: Να πω εδώ ότι... / Να πούμε λοιπόν ότι...

To be fair and square, you know?
    Θεωρητικά, θεωρία και πράξη είναι το ίδιο πράγμα. Στην πράξη, όμως, διαφέρουν.
    When this you see, remember me and bear me in your mind, let all the world say what they may, speak of me as you find.

Thanks, 'Man, for the comprehensive list. I can always rely on you not only for the list but also for the register. I've been bad for the last two days with my third serious chest infection, so apologies for my delay in replying.