metafrasi banner

(You) know what I mean

This is one of the emptiest of all fillers but gives the speaker time to organise his or her thoughts. It is virtually meaningless. I am sure there is a similar Greek equivalent. The Urban Dictionary is scathing about those who use it:-

''Phrase used by the inarticulate and dimwitted as a comma and to buy time and cover their lack of knowledge of a subject on which they have decided to speak and the resulting insecurity this engenders.

It is particularly irritating in sportspeople, presenters and commentators as they are paid way in excess of the average salary of their audience precisley to tell them what it is they mean. The unspoken assumption is that the audience are already well aware of the 'gem of wisdom' or 'fact' (or see cliche) imparted by the 'expert' and that there really is no need to pay him or her £5000 an episode to provide such insightless insights.'

The Cambridge English Dictionary is more charitable.- '(you) know what I mean
informal
​used when you think that the person listening understands and so you do not need to say any more:
--You've got to give him a chance, you know what I mean?;):curse:

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
—Ξέρεις, ξέρω γω, κατάλαβες, το 'πιασες, ξέρεις τι εννοώ, έτσι;
—Ε;
—Ξέρ'ς, μπήκες, μ' ανθίστηκες, τη σακουλεύτηκες, το λοιπό, μαδερφάκι μου;

:whistle:

Από αυτά εγώ χρησιμοποιώ το "ξερωγώ" και το "κατάλαβες" ;)

Thanks to all! '(You) know what I mean' must be one of the commonest UK fillers apart from the now ever-present 'I have to say'. I'll submit that query tomorrow. I'm fighting my third serious chest infection this year. Old age doesn't come on it's own....

Έχω την εντύπωση ότι και το "actually" παίζει κάποιον αντίστοιχο ρόλο με το κλασικό "you know" που ακούμε χρόνια στον αγγλικό λόγο. Και το λέω επειδή το συνάντησα πρόσφατα σε ταινία Μπόλιγουντ (λολ, ω, ναι, πολύ γέλιο!) και το έλεγαν συνέχεια οι ηθοποιοί. Δεν έχω πρόχειρο παράδειγμα, αλλά είμαι σίγουρη ότι όσοι ασχολείστε με τη μετάφραση προφορικού κυρίως λόγου, που συναντάμε κυρίως στον υποτιτλισμό, θα το έχετε παρατηρήσει. Αλλά μπορεί να κάνω και λάθος. ;)

Έχω την εντύπωση ότι και το "actually" παίζει κάποιον αντίστοιχο ρόλο με το κλασικό "you know" ... Αλλά μπορεί να κάνω και λάθος.
Το μόνο λάθος που βλέπω στη συγκεκριμένη περίπτωση είναι μια κάποια ηττοπάθεια.

[...] Used as a sentence modifier to add slight emphasis [WordWeb]
[...] used to introduce a new topic or to add information to a previous statement [ODE]
[...] Some commentators have: [...] noted that in many cases, actually functions as little more than a vacuous emphatic utterance [Wiktionary]

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
Έχω την εντύπωση ότι και το "actually" παίζει κάποιον αντίστοιχο ρόλο με το κλασικό "you know" που ακούμε χρόνια στον αγγλικό λόγο. ...

To be fair, it actually does, actually. It just does, literally, like, for -like- ever. Really, you know? :-)

But more often the phrase is used with no meaning at all, like 'I have to say'--my particular bête noire....
Common similar other inane fillers are 'to be honest/innit/d'you know what I mean? & literally'.:devil::curse:
Mine is just "just," to be fair. And actually, actually. Really, you know? :-)

Although we do have another filler for that: το «βασικά», βασικά. Παρεμπιπτόντως:

Τα παραγεμίσματα του λόγου: discourse markers = συνομιλιακοί δείκτες

Συνομιλιακοί δείκτες
Δεν υπάρχει ακόμη ένας καθολικά αποδεκτός ορισμός του παραπάνω όρου, ούτε καν ένας μόνον όρος, για να στεγάσει το μεγάλο πλήθος των "μικρών" λέξεων που κάθε φυσική γλώσσα διαθέτει, είτε για να δείξει την πληροφοριακή ροή ενός κειμένου (και άρα τη συγκρότησή του), όπως οι διαπροτασιακοί συνδέτες λοιπόν, άλλωστε, επίσης, δηλαδή· είτε για να υποδηλώσει τη στάση του ομιλητή απέναντι στα ίδια τα λεγόμενά του, όπως οι δείκτες ας πούμε, βασικά, βέβαια, φυσικά· είτε, τέλος, για να χαρακτηρίσει τη στάση του απέναντι στον συνομιλητή του, όπως οι δείκτες ξέρεις, άκου να δεις, κοίταξε, ρε, βρε. Σε κάθε περίπτωση, οι συνομιλιακοί δείκτες συνεισφέρουν καθοριστικά στη συνεκτικότητα του κειμένου/ λόγου, δηλαδή στην αίσθηση που έχουν οι συνομιλητές ότι το κείμενο/ λόγος είναι "αρμολογημένο", ότι έχει νόημα, δεν είναι απλώς ένα συνονθύλευμα προτάσεων. Πώς οριοθετείται η κατηγορία των συνομιλιακών δεικτών; Η απάντηση δεν είναι εύκολη, αν σκεφθεί κανείς ότι για καμία γλώσσα δεν υπάρχει απόλυτη ομοφωνία ως προς το ποιες λέξεις πρέπει να περιληφθούν στην κατηγορία αυτή. Πάντως, η πρόσφατη έρευνα συγκλίνει σε ορισμένα ταξινομικά κριτήρια, όπως τα παρακάτω: φωνολογικά/λεξιλογικά (οι δείκτες είναι λέξεις ή φράσεις μικρές και με τάση φωνολογικής συρρίκνωσης, π.χ. μήπως ξέρω κι εγώ; > ξέρω κι εγώ; > ξέρω 'γω; > ξέρω 'γω· αποτελούν χωριστή τονική μονάδα μέσα στο εκφώνημα και είναι πολλές φορές δύσκολο να ενταχθούν στις γνωστές γραμματικές κατηγορίες (μέρη του λόγου) εξαιτίας του σημασιολογικού αποχρωματισμού τους, π.χ. το συνομιλιακό ξέρεις ή βλέπεις· ενώ εξακολουθούν να είναι ρήματα, μπορούν να θεωρηθούν και "μόρια λόγου")· συντακτικά (ανήκουν στη σύνταξη του κειμένου, όχι των προτάσεων και γι' αυτό βρίσκονται σε θέση είτε εντελώς αρχική στο εκφώνημα είτε παρενθετική: π.χ. βλέπεις, δε μπορούσα να κάνω διαφορετικά /δε μπορούσα να κάνω διαφορετικά, βλέπεις)· σημασιολογικά (δεν προσθέτουν ουσιαστικά τίποτε στο περιεχόμενο του εκφωνήματος και, συνεπώς, δεν επηρεάζουν την τιμή αληθείας της πρότασης: π.χ. μπαίνω στο σπίτι, που λες, και τι να δω; )· λειτουργικά (επειδή δεν αναφέρονται μόνο στο αντικείμενο του λόγου αλλά και στην περίσταση επικοινωνίας, μπορούν να αναλυθούν ταυτόχρονα σε διαφορετικά επίπεδα, π.χ. το πρωτοπρόσωπο νομίζω μπορεί να δηλώνει ταυτόχρονα χαμηλή βεβαιότητα αλλά και ευγενική διαφωνία) και υφολογικά (οι συνομιλιακοί δείκτες αφθονούν στον προφορικό διάλογο και εκφράζουν σημασίες όχι τόσο περιγραφικές της πραγματικότητας όσο διαπροσωπικές, δηλαδή σημασίες που συνδέονται με τους κοινωνικούς ρόλους των συνομιλητών ή την έκφραση των συναισθημάτων τους).

Οπότε για τη λίστα σου βγαίνουν προς το παρόν οι παρακάτω λέξεις/εκφράσεις: λοιπόν, άλλωστε, επίσης, δηλαδή, ας πούμε, βασικά, βέβαια, φυσικά, ξέρεις, άκου να δεις, κοίταξε, ρε, βρε, που λες, ξέρω 'γω, βλέπεις.

... Επαναλαμβάνω από το ποστ της Άνεφ παραπάνω και προσθέτω μερικά ακόμα:

Λοιπόν / άλλωστε / επίσης / δηλαδή / ας πούμε / βασικά / φυσικά / βέβαια / ξέρεις / άκου να δεις / κοίταξε / ρε / βρε / ξέρω 'γώ / βλέπεις / εξάλλου / από την άλλη / παρεμπιπτόντως / εδώ που τα λέμε / κοίτα να δεις / άκου να σου πω / άκου / να σου πω (με ή χωρίς ερωτηματικό) / ακούς; / ξέρεις κάτι; / μωρέ / θα έλεγα / λέει (τι έκανε λέει; ) / σου λέω / που λες / λέω 'γώ (τώρα) / δε μου λες; / δε λέω.

What your verbal fillers say about you
What are the most common but biggest faux pas in modern English?…

[...]

‘Right’
Often accompanied by a smacking and rubbing of hands, this is the ultimate clapper-board word, the one that announces you’re about to start a new job or train of thought and it’s performed as much for your own benefit as a signal to others that you’re about to kick off. The question is, why the need to scoop up your thinking and self-motivate on such a regular basis? You’re a positive person, but the trouble is your thoughts tend to run out of control and you struggle keeping track at times. This leads to mild levels of stress and confusion leading to you becoming your own little police force, dragging the threads of your thinking together and galvanising your brain into action. Use this too much and you’ll appear bumbling, chaotic and just a little bit of a control freak in what can sound like a call for silence from those around you.

‘…you know…’
These two words need to appear during, rather than at the start of, a sentence or in reply to a question, as in:
‘How did you feel when the rhino trampled you?’
‘Well, you know….’
Or:
‘I only had about three seconds to…you know…run away and I was…you know…very scared.’

Do we need to point out the obvious, which is that you will only use these words when you patently don’t know what you’re talking about or what to say? The words ‘you know’ are the ultimate cry for help. When you use them you’re asking, ‘Do you know? Can you help me out please?’ and this plead for empathy suggests severe brain break-down, albeit temporary.

Watch a professional speaker like a politician during an interview and the moment he/she emerges with his/her first ‘you know’ you can tell they’ve lost the plot and are bluffing big- time.

‘Actually’
Why use a word to prove the truth of what you’re saying unless you’re lying in the first place? ‘I was actually very upset’, ‘We could actually see that our plan was working’, ‘I was confused by that actually’. This is your personal attempt to underline what you are saying and it implies you’re used to being doubted and feel you have to over-prove your point. ‘Actually’ is a weasel word, flung about with desperation in a flaccid attempt to provide validation that is clearly missing, actually.

‘Literally’
Read all of the above and add a drizzle of intellectual pretentiousness.

‘Basically’
Only ever used by people who have relinquished all control over their ability to précis, and serves as a warning that the speaker is about to ramble on with a severe case of verbal diarrhoea. This is another self-policing word as you try to form structure and clarity to your points and therefore a clear sign that you have none. By using this word you also give false hope to your audience, demanding their attention by suggesting you will be good to listen to. The small break-down in trust once they realise you have more rabbit than Waitrose will become part of a general decline in your overall credibility.
[...]
This article has been extracted from The You Code by Judi James

Το βρήκα δημοσιευμένο εδώ.