Η κουκουβάγια πήρε ψωμί και πήγαινε του παιδιού της στο σχολείο

From a Cypriot fable. Does πήγαινε here mean 'the owl would go & take the bread to her child in school'? It seems an odd way of saying it. The order of events is the wrong way round. Is there some idiom here I am unaware of?:confused:
Or does it mean 'the owl got bread & would take it to her child in school'? A different use of πηγαίνω.:)

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
The owl got some bread and took it to her child in school = The owl took some bread and brought it to her child in school

παίρνω = take

πηγαίνω κάτι σε κάποιον (ή κάποιου, e.g. της πήγα λίγο ψωμί) = take something to someone, bring, carry

SBE

¥
Perhpas this might make it easier to understand:
Η κουκουβάγια πήρε ψωμί και το πήγαινε του παιδιού της στο σχολείο

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
Let's say that we would normally have two aorists to describe consecutive actions:
Η κουκουβάγια πήρε ψωμί και το πήγε του παιδιού της στο σχολείο.

If we use the imperfect for the second verb,
Η κουκουβάγια πήρε ψωμί και το πήγαινε του παιδιού της στο σχολείο.
The owl got some bread and was taking it to her child in school
it is to me an indication that something happened (and becomes part of the tale) while she was taking the bread to her child.

Oh, well...

SBE

¥
Η κουκουβάγια πήρε ψωμί και το πήγαινε του παιδιού της στο σχολείο.
The owl got some bread and was taking it to her child in school
it is to me an indication that something happened (and becomes part of the tale) while she was taking the bread to her child.

Don't most stories start like that anyway?
Στο δρόμο για το σχολείο συνάντησε το λαγό, for example.

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
True!
Η δασκάλα διόρθωσε τις εργασίες των μαθητών και τις μοίραζε στα παιδιά, όταν έφτασε στο γραπτό του Μπόμπου... :)

Thanks all. The difference between the aorist & the past continuous hadn't escaped my notice. Does anyone know this Cypriot(?) folktale?

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
«Η κουκουβάγια, άμα είδε πως εσχόλασαν τα παιδιά το μεσημέρι και το μωρό της δεν εσχόλασε, επήρε λίγο ψωμί κ’ επήγε στο σχολείο να του το δώσει.»

Σχολικό Ανθολόγιο Λογοτεχνικών Κειμένων (Β' Δημοτικού)

«Η κουκουβάγια πήρε ψωμί και πήγαινε του παιδιού της στο σχολείο.»

The Routledge Modern Greek Reader: Greek Folktales for Learning Modern Greek

Άλλα τα μάτια του λαγού κι άλλα της κουκουβάγιας. Κι άλλα της πέρδικας.

Surfin' Bird (Bird is the word) - The Trashmen

Don't you know about the bird?
Everybody knows that the bird is the word! :-)

Does anyone know this Cypriot(?) folktale?
Through Google, yes. One can find it, for example, here, here or here. In this last link, it is indeed mentioned as Cypriot. Admittedly, it sounds very much like an Aesopian fable. I don't recollect it, I only know a present-day humorous variant: distinguishing the black child in a white-children school by its being the most beautiful. This variant is linked to the expression και η αραπίνα το αραπάκι (one thinks of one's own as being the most beautiful, precious, smart etc.).

P.S. Daeman: fast as lightning.

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
... P.S. Daeman: fast as lightning.

Πας γυρεύοντας για να τ' ακούσεις. :p Αυτό, που θυμήθηκα πριν από καναδυό ώρες:

Greased Lightning - Grease

Κι ένα μετασχόλιο εκεί.

"Like the song "Greased Lightning," in which Travolta croons about how much "pussy" and "tit" his car will get him and how it will make the chicks "cream." Quick reminder: A lot of you probably watched this with your parents at one point. In retrospect, Travolta showed amazing restraint by not straight-up grabbing his balls while singing these lyrics. Oh wait, he did do that."

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
... Άλλα τα μάτια του λαγού κι άλλα της κουκουβάγιας. Κι άλλα της πέρδικας.

Ν. Πολίτη, Παροιμίαι, τόμος Α΄, σελ. 525: