σκάλα

In our discussion of Κάτου στον Άι Γιώργη the meaning of this phrase was briefly touched upon:-
Κι όπως τον κατεβάζαν από τη σκάλα του
Earion mentioned that σκάλα in Medieval Greek meant 'stirrup'.
Here is something colleagues might find interesting:
"A first written attestation of the use of metallic stirrups in the Byzantine cavalry can be found in Maurikios’s Strategikon, (circa 600). In this work, it is mentioned as a well-known object with the name « σκάλα » (from Latin). This enables us to conclude that « scala » (= step, ladder-rung) was the name used for « stirrup » in the Roman army, before the fall of the Western empire (5th century). Also in the 3rd/4th centuries, the Roman soldiers had seen different kinds of stirrups used by their Eastern enemies and had gradually imitated them. However, an attestation of the spreading and the official introduction of the stirrup is nowhere to be found. Still, the survival of the word « scala » (= stirrup) in the Rumanian, Albanian and Greek languages shows that this meaning of « scala » was present in Latin. After the fall of the Western Empire, the Germanic warriors became the new masters, and two of their words for “stirrup” have prevailed in the late Latin and early Romance languages: the Longobardic word « staffa » and the Frankish word « *streup »."
Since the lyrics of Κάτου στον Άι Γιώργη are very old, would the people of Corfu who were singing them think that that the meaning was 'as they were taking him down from the stairs of his house' or 'from his stirrup'? Both translations submitted by SBE in the light of Earion's vocabulary note. It's a difficult question, naturally, but would the old meaning of σκάλα survive in some dialects? :(

SBE

¥
As I said originally, Theseus, σκάλα is a word with too many meanings, but it would be safe to assume that at some point people in Corfu knew the meaning stirrup and they probably know it now, too. As can be seen here, the word is still in use in the horseriding community: O Παναμέζος Ισαάκ Τζέιμυ Χιμένεθ (αρχές δεκαετίας 80) άφησε εποχή για την εκπληκτική τεχνική του. Έχοντας τις σκάλες ψηλά, δίδαξε τους Έλληνες αναβάτες.

Presumably the Panamanian jockey was riding with short stirrups, sitting very high and to the front of the horse, which I think is the standard position for speed nowadays.
440px-Horseracing_Churchill_Downs.jpg

I have read with considerable success the whole of the article you referred me to, SBE. It is the first I've ever read on Greek horse racing. Thus it has been very successful on all counts!