αύριο βγαίνει

What is the exact meaning of βγαίνει of a lottery ticket or a lottery result perhaps? In the restaurant mentioned in my last thread all sorts of tradesmen have pushed their way into the saloon to sell their wares. A gipsy is trying to get some people at a table to buy a lottery ticket for the draw on Monday:-
--Αύριο βγαίνει.
--Μα αύριο είναι Κυριακή.
--Το ίδιο κάνει, ο λόγος το λέει....:)

SBE

¥
Ι wouldn't use the verb βγαίνω for this, because it implies that the number will come up, which we can't know, but it means that the draw is tomorrow. The λαχειοπώλες usually use the more accurate verb κληρώνω. κληρώνομαι,

Αύριο κληρώνει= the draw is tomorrow
Τη Δευτέρα κληρώνει= the draw is on Monday (I don't know if the draws are still every Monday)
(and I am sure Daeman will come up with some song about it).

Thanks, SBE. And for the lottery technical terms. Yes, & I too am waiting for his song. Goodness knows where he gets them from. He is an inexhaustible source....

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
Το λαχείο - Μανώλης Μητσιάς

Στίχοι: Νίκος Γκάτσος, Μουσική: Λουκιανός Κηλαηδόνης

Κοντά στο Δημαρχείο σε μια παράγκα
αγόρασα λαχείο με δέκα φράγκα
Αν θα πετύχω διάνα τον πρώτο λότο
στη φτώχεια την πουτάνα θα μπει μπουρλότο

Ολά ολά, η τύχη μου γελά
ολά ολά ολά, το χρήμα θα κυλά

Στην τσέπη θα βροντάνε χιλιάδες γρόσια
και θα με προσκυνάνε στα Νέα Λιόσια
Θα πάψει κι η Μαρία να πλένει σκάλες
και θα γενεί κυρία σαν τόσες άλλες

Ολά ολά, από τα χαμηλά
ολά ολά ολά, θ’ ανέβουμε ψηλά

Θα δώσω όσα κι όσα με την καρδιά μου
να μάθουν καμιά γλώσσα και τα παιδιά μου
Και θα μπορέσουν έτσι κι αυτά μια μέρα
να λεν αριβεντέρτσι και μπονασέρα

Ολά ολά, θα κάνουμε πολλά
ολά ολά ολά, ας είμαστε καλά

You will eat, bye and bye
In that glorious land above the sky
Way up high
Work and pray, live on hay

You'll get pie in the sky
when you die
That's a lie!

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
... Goodness knows where he gets them from. ...

Η εσωτερική μου φόρα (Θοδωρής Μανίκας) - Thirty ντέρτι

Ο τροχός που γυρνάει
αιχμαλώτους μας κρατάει
με τη μνήμη
και στη λήθη κατάδικους
Τις στιγμές μας μετράει
και ξαφνικά σταματάει
και κληρώνει
για δίκαιους και άδικους

Τότε ο καλύτερος κι ο χειρότερος
σπρώχνονται όλοι μαζί
περιμένοντας
στη ρεσεψιόν των ουρανών
μέχρι που κάποιος σε κοιτάει
και τις στιγμές σου ρωτάει
για να σου πει
τελικά που σε βάζουνε
Και σ' αυτόν να πεις
«Ούτε μια στιγμή δε θυμάμαι τώρα
τις ξέπλυνε όλες σαν βροχή η εσωτερική μου φόρα»

~ Φίφτι nifty
:cool1:

and a quick google search doesn't hurt either

SBE

¥
Nαι, αλλά πού είναι το τραγούδι με στίχο τη Δευτέρα κληρώνει ή κάτι τέτοιο;

ΥΓ το πρώτο άσμα δεν το έχω ξανακούσει, αλλά υποθέτω ότι δεν παίχτηκε στο ραδιόφωνο ποτέ λόγω του τέταρτου στίχου της πρώτης στροφής.

What does μπουρλότο mean here? Wildfire? So 'all my bloody poverty will go to f***'''', literally 'wildfire will come to...

SBE

¥
Μπουρλότο= fireship, a ship carrying combustibles or explosives sent burning among the enemy's ships or works to set them on fire, and by extension any bomb.

In this case it means that poverty will be gone, decimated, blown to pieces.

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
Nαι, αλλά πού είναι το τραγούδι με στίχο τη Δευτέρα κληρώνει ή κάτι τέτοιο;

I'm a daeman, not a wizard; just a sorcerer's apprentice. Ιδού η Ρόδος, ιδού και το πήδημα. :-)

I searched youtube for a video clip of one of those old commercials of Λαϊκό λαχείο where the seller was crying "Λαϊκό λαχείο! Αύριο κληρώνει! Πάρε, κόσμε, η τύχη σου πληρώνει!" but to no avail. And it was late, both the hour of the night and in my working day night.

ΥΓ το πρώτο άσμα δεν το έχω ξανακούσει, αλλά υποθέτω ότι δεν παίχτηκε στο ραδιόφωνο ποτέ λόγω του τέταρτου στίχου της πρώτης στροφής.

Ιδού και το πήδημα. :D

As for the thread title phrase, if it was an informal lottery, the person selling the tickets could very well say βγαίνει instead of κληρώνει, in the sense that the winning ticket would "come out" of the lottery bag, box, hat, whatever. In this case, though, that Δευτέρα leads me to agree that it was a typical state lottery where κληρώνει seems more appropriate.

pontios

There is some symmetry here with "it’ll come out tomorrow", meaning the draw/results will come out tomorrow = "αύριο βγαίνει (η κλήρωση)". Similarly not the best English; but it’s more than acceptable (in English, anyway).