κουτόχορτο

At the end of a song that Daeman referred to δηλ. βαρέθηκα τη μίζερή μου φύση occur the words
Πώς γίνεται στον κάθε παλαβιάρη
κουτόχορτο χιλιάδες να βοσκάν.
Can someone translate them for me?
Κουτόχορτο seems to play a part in idioms like τρώω κουτόχορτο. Or references to it 'to be taken two days before elections'. Is it a kind of 'opium of the people?;):down:

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
κουτόχορτο το : μόνο στις ΦΡ τρώω κουτόχορτο, πιάνομαι κορόιδο. ταΐζω / δίνω σε κπ. κουτόχορτο, συμπεριφέρομαι σε κπ. κατά τέτοιον τρόπο, σαν να τον θεωρώ κουτό, ανόητο, κορόιδο.

τρώω κουτόχορτο = to be taken for a ride

ταΐζω / δίνω κουτόχορτο = to take someone for a fool

A synonym, very popular and much munched lately on all sides of the political spectrum, both here and abroad, as always but particularly in times of crisis:

σανός ο πληθ. τα σανά & σανό το : αποξηραμένο χόρτο το οποίο συνήθ. έχουν θερίσει πριν ωριμάσει τελείως και το οποίο προορίζεται για τροφή των ζώων. ΦΡ τρώω σανό, είμαι βλάκας, ξεγελιέμαι εύκολα: Δεν τρώω σανό εγώ!

... Is it a kind of 'opium of the people'?

Well, not exactly; more like fodder for the dumb, without any nutritional value for humans, for body or mind.
At least opium provides some kind of entertainment, or so they say, however dumb that may be.

In metre:

πώς γίνεται στον ένα παλαβιάρη
εξήγησέ μου
κουτόχορτο χιλιάδες να βοσκάν

Πώς γίνεται στον κάθε παλαβιάρη
κουτόχορτο χιλιάδες να βοσκάν

How can it be by one so foolish person
will you explain it
so many to be taken for a ride

How can it be by every foolish person
so many to be taken for a ride

τα λόγια, μοναχά, μας απομείναν
κι οι θεωρίες
στην πράξη μάς χαλάνε οι θεσμοί

Thanks, 'Man, for the translation & all the information relating to σανός. In the lines Πως γίνεται στον κάθε παλαβιάρη, what floored me was the meaning of στον in στον in στον κάθε παλαβιάρη. I took it to mean 'Explain to me how it happens to a fool that thousands to fall off the turnip cart' [US idiom]'! This sounded, as indeed it is, nonsensical. 'By/through/because of every foolish person' didn't occur to me at all. I haven't come across this use of στον κτλ.
Thanks, Nik, for the cross reference. I had forgotten that I contributed in a small way to the thread you started.

SBE

¥
Well, not exactly; more like fodder for the dumb, without any nutritional value for humans, for body or mind.

Since in my mind κουτόχορτο is what makes you an idiot once you eat it*, I would argue that it has the nutritional value of negating one's IQ. :lol:

* In the same vein as other things that one eats or drinks in Greek folklore, for example αθάνατο νερό, the water of immortality
αμίλητο νερό (το αμίλητο νερό ήπιες; = why are you not talking? )
however τεμπελόπιτα = a pie made with few ingredients, very quickly. It does not make those who eat it lazy.

Thanks, SBE. That explains the image:-
IMG_1092.jpg

Earion

Staff member
On σανός, see also the relevant entry of slang.gr: σανός

with the (inevitable) political overtones:

Πρόσφατα ο σλανγκόφιλος Β. Βενιζέλος το επανέφερε ως αρκτικόλεξο ΣΑΝΟ (Σχέδιο Ανάπτυξης Νέας Οικονομίας), συνώνυμο του Τρίτου, πρώτη φορά αριστερού μνημoνίου.

Thanks, Earion. What exactly is the meaning in political terms 'του Τρίτου, πρώτη φορά αριστερού μνημoνίου'.