A rash of instances of the word τους/τούς

For starters, how would I translate the title thread into Greek?
The difficulty I have been faced with in this latest story is that by & large I have no doubt about the sense. But there are so many instances of τους/τούς that I need them sorting out. The passage deals with two spinster sisters known as the δασκαλάρες who live in a two-storey house, with gardens back & front. They are fanatical gardeners & up at the crack of dawn to start their gardening, despite waking everyone up. They live on the top floor of their house & rent the bottom flat. Here is the paragraph in full with the accents left as they are, since the piece is a katharevousa-demotic mix:-

Ειδικά μαλλώνουν μέ τούς ενοικιαστάς τούς. Άν ακούσουν κανένα κρότο στό κάτω διαμέρισμα, αμέσως τρέχουν κάτω καί οι δυό τους έξαλλες καί ζητάν να δούν μήπως τούς έκαναν καμμιά ζημιά. Μήν τούς έσπασαν κανένα τζάμι, το νεροχύτη, το νιπτήρα, κανένα πλακάκι; Όλο παραπονιούνται πώς τά παιδιά τών νοικάρηδών τους, τούς καταστρέφουν τόν κήπο, πώς κλέβουν τά φρούτα τους καί μαδάν τά λουλούδια τους. Όπως είναι φυσικό. καταλήγουν στά δικαστήρια. Μέ όλους αναιξαιρέτως τούς ενοικιαστάς τους είχαν δίκες. Άν χάσουν τή δίκη δέν βρίζουν μόνον αυτούς, τά βάζουν καί μέ τούς δικαστας καί μέ τούς ίδιους τους τούς δικηγόρους γιατί δέν υπερασπίσθηκαν όπως έπρεπε τά συμφέροντά τους.

I haven't been able to mark words bearing a circumflex accent & I may have missed or marked some wrongly but are all the occurrences of the τους/τούς necessary? The meaning of the piece is clear apart from the ones marked. The difficulties here arise from the meaning in the first instance & the apparent tautology of the second. :confused:;)
Could the passage be simplified without radically changing its meaning?

SBE

¥
The accents are all over the place in this text and not always necessary. First of all, for the rules here is again the link I gave in my other post (scroll down for the section "Exceptions where monosyllabic words do receive an accent mark"). Now let's retouch the text above...

Ειδικά μαλώνουν με τους ενοικιαστάς τους. Αν ακούσουν κανένα κρότο στο κάτω διαμέρισμα, αμέσως τρέχουν κάτω και οι δυο τους έξαλλες και ζητάν να δουν μήπως τους έκαναν καμιά ζημιά. Μην τους έσπασαν κανένα τζάμι, το νεροχύτη, το νιπτήρα, κανένα πλακάκι; Όλο παραπονιούνται πως τα παιδιά των νοικάρηδών τους τους καταστρέφουν τον κήπο, πως κλέβουν τα φρούτα τους και μαδάν τα λουλούδια τους. Όπως είναι φυσικό, καταλήγουν στα δικαστήρια. Με όλους ανεξαιρέτως τους ενοικιαστάς τους είχαν δίκες. Αν χάσουν τη δίκη, δεν βρίζουν μόνον αυτούς, τα βάζουν και με τους δικαστάς και με τους ίδιους τους τους δικηγόρους γιατί δεν υπερασπίσθηκαν όπως έπρεπε τα συμφέροντά τους.

The red letter is where I would not put an accent, but I would not mind if I saw one, although I don't think there is ambiguity.

Many thanks, SBE, for this entire & very clear rewrite. Does the first τους in the sentence 'they both run downstairs beside themselves & look to see if they have done them any damage δηλ. to their property? :)

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
I've made a few corrections to Sophia's accented text, though none in any of the "τους". I disagree with the likelihood of an accent on the article in "τους δικηγόρους". We may use an accent in the second occurrence of these words if it a pronoun, e.g. Η μητέρα μου μού έδωσε... Ο πατέρας σου σού πήρε... Η γιαγιά του τού έριξε... Η θεία της τής άνοιξε... Ο σκύλος μας μάς έκλεψε... Η δασκάλα σας σάς έγραψε... Ο νονός τους τούς αγόρασε... I think the accent in this case is more of an aesthetic nature or depends on whether someone always uses an accent with these pronouns to distinguish them from enclitics. When there are two of them, there can be no confusion. Confusion arises when there is only one and you can't tell whether it's an enclitic or a pronoun. In the latter case, you must use an accent: Ο σκύλος μας έκλεψε... Our dog stole... Ο σκύλος μάς έκλεψε... The dog stole from us...

And, finally: a rash of instances = συρροή χρήσεων...

Thanks, Nikel & the good Duke. We call the them in 'done them damage' or 'cut roses from them' the 'dative of disadvantage'.